new to the model 8

New Member Introductions
snake699

new to the model 8

Post by snake699 »

I recently got a 1915 model 8. Having not seen a gun like this , I immediately went to researching it and came across this site. Great. I downloaded the pdf. by James M. Triggs and stripped it down to the very last part. Videos came in handy when I realized I needed special tools. I made every one myself and didn't purchase anything. I did get confused when looking at the breakdowns, But after e-mailing this site, and reading some posts, I realized my gun may not have all these parts. Notably the firing pin springs and one mag. side spring. Very interesting. The gun has apparently not been fired for at least 15 years and miss-fired the last time. It will get a thorough cleaning and needs a new firing pin (chip on the tip ).
81police

Re: new to the model 8

Post by 81police »

snake699, welcome to the Great 8! Real glad to hear you have things sorted out!

I will point out two things that may or may not help you. Early Model 8's did not come with either a firing pin nor firing pin buffer spring. Also very early 8's did not have any side springs...then Remington made them with just 1 side spring. Later production 8's and all 81's had 2 magazine side springs as standard. Just FYI! Best of luck friend.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
andy123

Post by andy123 »

i would like to appreciate you for sharing such a great info with us
8-)
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I have a 1922 Model 8 with no firing pin spring and only one magazine box side spring.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey snake699,

Welcome to the forum. Glad that you were able to find what you needed to get the old girl apart and back together.
Several of us have built tools to facilitate the take down and reassembly of our rifles. :o

Regards,

jack1653