Howdy from Texas

New Member Introductions
Eterry

Howdy from Texas

Post by Eterry »

Howdy y'all, I've grown up hunting in the river bottoms and post oak of north Texas and short range rifles are perfect around here. I've wanted a 35 Remington for years, and the model 8 always looked like a wonderful rifle. I recently bought a model 8 in 35 Remington, serial # 94XX, which I'm told is 1908 production, so is it a Remington Autoloading Rifle ?? It has a Marbles tang sight, the finish is well worn, but the rifling is crisp and so is the trigger. I haven't had it to the range, but am looking forward to it. I will be calling on y'all for tips, and pet loads for the 35. I have intentions of hunting with it this fall.

Regards,
Eterry
Roger

Re: Howdy from Texas

Post by Roger »

Sir,
I have developed many 35 remington loads for my rem, m-8/81 s. Email me if you want to know more about them.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Mr Terry,

If you'll look on the left side of the rifle receiver, the Model8s usually have a Remington logo & serial #. The SLRs usually have no roll stamp here.
Example: :arrow:
P1000838.JPG
P1000838.JPG (98 KiB) Viewed 8616 times
Put some deer in the freezer and wild hogs or peccaries ;) for me, will ya?? My hunting locales have pretty much dried up 'round here. :x I'm having a time just finding a place for load testing. :roll:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Eterry

Post by Eterry »

Phirbird, nothing on the side of my Remington...so I guess it was made before the model 8 title was adopted. Either way, I look forward to shooting it, and swatting a big hog and buck this fall. I have to find a replacement forearm screw first, been working the phones today with no luck.

Regards,
Eterry

PS, sorry to hear of the poor hunting in your area, come on down to Texas

ET
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome from N.Florida. You might try Joe at aperturesnmore.com or Robert at circlebranch@cox.net for the screw. If Joe doesn`t have it he should be able to tell you what thread it is.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Sarge,

How far from Athens, Ga are you?

Regards,

jack1653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Oh Grand and Mighty Texan :!: :!:

Don't tempt me, I just might camp on your porch! I'm in S Central KAintucky, So it's not that much of a stretch.
Gotta make it to N Carolina first to visit future in-laws ;) (we hope) Know any quilters in the area? It could twist my wife's arm to join the trip...
Caint detail much here but I'm also into single shot pistols and BIG revolvers...

Sorry I don't have the extra screw for the early model, only go the one for the M81.
This'll give you an idea what it looks like:

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... &gallery=3

image #7
Phyrbird
SOKY
Eterry

Post by Eterry »

Sarge, thanks for the info, I sent an email to Joe and I'm awaiting the earliest tidings....

Phirbird, you don't have to camp on my porch, although you'd be welcome. There's 1500 acres of river bottom public land about 30 miles from the end of my nose, its chock full of all manner of game. I've hunted it for years off and on, its awesome in bow season, not much pressure. Gun season's a little different, with weekend warriors hunting heavy the first few weeks. It's perfect for iron sights...I've shot several deer, turkey, and coyotes with irons there...

BTW, my cousin lives in looieville, is that close to you?

ETerry
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Yup, grew up there. Brother's still in town. 2.25 hrs away... ;)
Goin to the Show today, you oughta join us tomorrow. :D
Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Jack,
I sent you a PM .....I`m about 6-7 hours from Athens.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Eterry

Post by Eterry »

I emailed Joe at aperturesnmore.com and he is making me a screw and sending a new aperture, so I'll soon be in business. Thanks all.
Eterry
81police

Post by 81police »

Eterry, welcome aboard from another fellow N. Texan!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Eterry

Post by Eterry »

Cam, what part of the Great State do you hail from? I ordered the parts I needed from Joe, and after a long-suffering wait I finally got my parts in. The peep works fine but the screw head was too long, but some time with a file and all is well. I told my best friend I'm hunting with a 105 year old rifle and he said he'd have to use a rock to one-up me with an older weapon.

I also traded some ammo for about 180 rounds of factory Winchester 200 grain ammo, recent manufacture in plastic 5 shell clampacks. Anyone know the performance of this ammo?

Regards,
Eterry