New guy here...

New Member Introductions
mattitude

New guy here...

Post by mattitude »

Hi everyone, my name is Matt and I'm a lover of wood & steel from a time when people were skilled craftsmen and took great pride in their work. I've always admired the Model 8 & 81 rifles but never got to the point of actually putting down money on one mainly due to finding ammo to actually shoot the rifle. I've seen the rifles around from time to time but lately they've seemed to have dried up in my area. Just recently I was making my rounds to the local shops and an 8/81 behind the counter caught my eye. I asked to take a look at it and it was love at first sight. Overall condition looks to be good except that it appears that a former owner installed a rubber recoil pad which is a shame (if not factory...) is that the stock is checkered. The receiver is engraved but the counter jockey didn't know if it was factory or not. I only saw 2 screw holes on the left side of the receiver that weren't plugged (for a side mounted receiver sight maybe??) so at least it wasn't swiss cheesed like I've seen in some pictures and ads. I thought the price was a bit high (675.00) but I ended up putting her on layaway so hopefully she'll be in my hands in a month or so. Future plans are some .35 Remington loading dies, brass, a few boxes of ammo and I would love a peep sight that mounts to the rear of the receiver. I'm a 100% disabled veteran (I'm only 41) and I can't work so money for these projects are few and far between. Since I'm not sure what model, variation and vintage the rifle is I'll be sure to post pics once I take her home and I'll also be picking brains for tips & advice as I plan on putting her to work in the NC woods as well as on some SC hog hunts. I'm a member of SIGforum.com, M14forum.com, NCgunowners.com and wethearmed.com and I plan on sticking around here as well.
100% disabled veteran
TSgt (ret.) USAF
5 Dec 1990-28 July 2008
AMMO IYAAYAS!
big al

Re: New guy here...

Post by big al »

Welcome too the forum from another north carolinian. Sounds like you have found yourself a nice rifle. Look forward to seeing photos when you finally get it home.
Big al
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Welcome to the Great8 site mattitude! We're happy to hear that you finally bit the bullet and purchased a Model 8/81. The 35 Remington cartridge is a "Whitetail" favorite of ours and it will certainly knock a big hog off its feet too!

On the home page, you can click on the link on the right side..."The Grades of the Model 8 & 81". Even though you do not have your rifle home yet, you can take a look at this section & maybe it will help you determine, which Remington Model 8 or 81 that you have.

You mentioned that you were a disabled veteran in your post. My brother Jeff & I want you to know that we appreciate your service to this great country and we're happy to see that you're on your way to many great days afield, hunting with these old Remington's. Any day in the woods, with a Model 8 or 81 is a real good day!

Again, Welcome aboard mattitude! The factory engraved Model 8's & 81's are a bit harder to acquire, than the standard grades. We suggest that you research this site and find out exactly what you have, once you get the rifle home & out of layaway. It is always a bonus, to know exactly what you have, before the offers to purchase your rifle, start coming your way!

Congratulations on what sounds like a great purchase!
Enjoy Life, Bob & Jeff @ S and S HUNTCLUB
mattitude

Post by mattitude »

Thanks for the warm welcomes and I plan to put in my 2 cents once in a while along with some questions sprinkled in for some good measure. I've given the site a good look over and right now I'm thinking I have a Model 8 (thin forend along with the style of fine checkering) but I don't know if it's a D or E grade. I believe the magazine has some engraving but I don't believe there is a game scene on the left side of the receiver. There are no markings on the left side, so I'm thinking it is a factory engraved receiver...but I'm not an expert on these rifles (yet...) so I'll leave it to those here that know more than I when pictures are taken. As much as I'm known for buying & selling rifles and handguns, I'm pretty sure that I'll be keeping this one if she is indeed a factory engraved model and once I buy reloading dies and consumables for it then it's pretty much a done deal unless I get an offer that no-one here would be dumb enough to refuse.

I really enjoyed serving my country for 17+ years and I loved the travel and world experiences. Unfortunately my disabilities are pretty bad which makes getting around pretty tough and I can't hunt alone for safety reasons. Disabled veteran's groups have helped me greatly in getting out of the house and in fact I'm leaving tomorrow to go on a hog hunt in SC with other wounded veterans. I wish that I had the Remington Mod. 8 for the hunt, but I'm using another Remington that I built myself (Rem 700) from the action on up.

I know that the Wounded Warrior Project is the biggest OIF/OEF charity out there (I am an Alumni member) but now they are more corporate machine and they tend to pick and choose who to "take care of". If anyone here does donate to these charities, I ask that those people look into giving to Freedom Alliance. They are smaller and more personal and it was founded by Col. Oliver North, who still runs things there. Great organization that could use some more $$ coming their way.
100% disabled veteran
TSgt (ret.) USAF
5 Dec 1990-28 July 2008
AMMO IYAAYAS!
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome indeed. And thanks for the back story, always helps. A bunch of us will be impatiently waiting for the pictures fur-sur.

Appreciate the good words about Col. North always great to know the guys is still getting'r done right.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome to the forums and a big THANK YOU for your service to our country!

Wow it sounds like you practically stole an engraved Remington, can't wait to see some pictures of your new-to-you "springpole". :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Matt,
Welcome from N.Florida. I have a SIL at Bragg so get up there to see the family from time to time. Looks like you are within throwing distance ,so next trip I`ll give you a hollar. We are all looking forward to seeing photos of your 8 .
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Big Dooley

Post by Big Dooley »

Welcome to our forum Mattitude and THANK YOU for your service. Hope you enjoy your rifle as much as I enjoy mine.
[b]Big Dooley[/b]
mattitude

Post by mattitude »

Sarge, please let me know when you are up in the Bragg area and we'll get together. Thanks again for the warm welcomes and it looks like I'll be picking up my rifle in a week or less so pics should be up sooner than later. Hopefully then someone will tell me what I actually have and if I did a good job or not.
100% disabled veteran
TSgt (ret.) USAF
5 Dec 1990-28 July 2008
AMMO IYAAYAS!
mattitude

Post by mattitude »

All, well I finally got the rifle home with me and posted a few pics in the Great Model 8 section. Please check them out and let me know what I have as I appreciate and value your opinions and input. I was able to order 100 rounds of ammo along with a set of dies, so I'll be asking what projectiles work & which don't do so well in these rifles.
100% disabled veteran
TSgt (ret.) USAF
5 Dec 1990-28 July 2008
AMMO IYAAYAS!