Just joined

New Member Introductions
iolhippie

Just joined

Post by iolhippie »

Hi to all
Remington Model 8 owners. I recently purchased 2 Model 8's and am trying for number 3 here in the Dallas, Texas area.
Model 8 number 1 is a 1906 16XX serial. The model is in good condition with no rust but has some scratches. The butt stock is cracked from the receiver to the tang bolt, about center between the sides. Is there any glue that might repair the stock? Question; there are two holes in the stock at the butt plate. They are about 4 inches deep and almost an inch wide. Any ideas of what they are for?
Model 8 number 2 is a 1929 60XXX serial. this one has some rust on the receiver and barrel, looks like sweaty hand prints. They are not too bad, but I'll probably try to clean them up later.

I haven't had a chance to shoot either yet but will as soon as I can. Both are .35Remington.

I'm glad to see there is a dedicated web sight for such a great gun.
81police

Re: Just joined

Post by 81police »

iolhippie,

Welcome from a fellow Texan! It sounds like you have two great Model 8's. You're in the DFW area, where do you shoot?

To answer your question, the two cut holes in your stock were merely for weight reduction. Occasionally people back in the day used them to store personal items, spare parts, etc.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
iolhippie

Post by iolhippie »

I shoot at TargetMasters indoors, and Garland Public Shooting Range when outside, and weather permits. I haven't checked on shooting my Model 8s at TargetMasters yet, but since I can shoot my Winchester 30-30 there, it should be OK. I'll find out. I will be shooting factory .35Remington ammo. I'm not a reloader.
81police

Post by 81police »

I've shot handguns at Targetmasters a few times myself, nice place.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator