beefstu - New 8/81 forum member

New Member Introductions
beefstu

beefstu - New 8/81 forum member

Post by beefstu »

Hello, I am new to this forum. Actually, this is the first forum I have been associated with, so please bear with me if I don't know the protocols to follow.
My father gave me a model 8 ten years or so ago. It is a .30 Rem. I bought some .30 Remington ammunition for it and fired it a few times when I first got it. Loved it!
Included in the rifle case from my Dad were some "Winchester Super Speed .30 Win.(30-30) S.P." rounds. I thought this was odd since the rifle is clearly marked .30 Rem.
The rim of the 30-30 is clearly a much larger diameter than the .30 Rem., (the .30 Rem is rimless, I believe)
I don't know much about ammo, but I would assume the 30-30 should not be fired from my model 8. Is this correct?
81police

Re: beefstu - New 8/81 forum member

Post by 81police »

beefstu,

Welcome to the 8 & 81 forums! We're glad you found us. Sounds like you have a fine Model 8. 30Rem is a great cartridge, light recoiling in these guns.

As you suggested the 30-30 Win will not work in these rifles and should not be tried. Stick to only using 30 Remington cartridges. You can still purchase them at the link below...

http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php ... ucts_id=94
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

81police

Post by 81police »

beefstu the new 30 Remington AR will NOT work, only "30 Remington".
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome aboard.

Believe most of us (if not all) have been where you are regarding the .30Rem and the 30-30Win. As a little background, to confuse matters even more, Remington even marked the early .30Rem "30-30"! No worries though, believe you will find that the rim of the 30-30Win will keep it from being useable in your shooter... not that it matters but the reloading data for the .30Rem and the 30-30Win are basically the same if you want to cut off the rim! ;)

But, like Cam said, the 30Rem AR is a totally different breed of cat - you want to steer clear of that one for these fine old rifles.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

OK Thanks!

How about the "flex tip" and "soft point" in this link from Ammo-One.com?

http://www.ammo-one.com/30Remington.html

I appreciate your help.
81police

Post by 81police »

If it were my personal gun for hunting/shooting I would go with the 170gr. soft point from Old Western Scrounger, it's also $10.00 a box cheaper. But that's just me! I don't have experience with ammo-one.com.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator