New guy could use a hand.

New Member Introductions
1raggedhole

New guy could use a hand.

Post by 1raggedhole »

Hello guys, i stop in to lurk every now and then but decided to join in. I have had a model 8 in .35 Rem for many years and love the thing. I have been looking for an 81 in 300 Savage for a while. I have missed the boat on a few and finally found a reasonable one on gunbroker that looked to be a descent shooter. I won the auction at a reasonable price. When the gun arrived, I found that the guy had deliberately taken pictures to exlude flaws like missing sling swivels and a MISSING TANG SCREW. The buttstock nearly fell off when I picked it up.The left leaf on the rear sight had also been ground at some time to clear a scope. The gun is otherwise in good condition and mechanically sound. I have looked in the usual places for a tang screw without luck. Any ideas on where I might find one? . Looking forward to shooting this one. My local shop had 4 boxes of 300 Savage in stock and no .22. Go figure. Thanks!
ROBOPUMP

Re: New guy could use a hand.

Post by ROBOPUMP »

You can contact Joe Hulett at http://www.aperturesnmore.com/ and he can make that tang screw for you that will look just like new. Blueing and all.

Several years ago I worked with Joe with the dimentions of all the tang screws for the model 8/81. There are three different ones. Straight stock model 8, semi pistol grip model 8 and the model 81.

I have a previous post on here about this subject but have not found it.

Regards.

ROB
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I have these if it's what you are looking for,

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2048
1raggedhole

Post by 1raggedhole »

Thanks so much, I am looking for the tang screw that hold the buttstock on. I will try Joe Hulett and see if he can help. It bothers me that I got taken on this gun but at least it is fixable.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear that some one took advantage of you. The gun business is home to some pretty sorry folks. There's always some yahoo waiting to cheat honest people out of their money. If you want to help stop this jerk then maybe you could email me his name so I don't get cheated too! Good luck on your parts search.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome. Agree Joe is the man when it comes to missing screws.

I've done almost all of my gun business over the internet and have very few complaints, on the whole I believe the gun commuinty is one of the best. Recently I've heard of others having issues with GB sellers and GB not being very helpful to the buyers, sorry you got some issues... Might write the seller and ask for a picture, to use as a target - oops scratch that not very PC.

Enjoy your shooter.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Saw the comments about GB help, my experience is that it is not much, 99% of deals are honest because sellers are honest, there are a few bad apples everwhere and if seller wii not take it back don't expect help from GB I think their rules have no teeth and are unenforceable. When you consider the size of this country how are you going to go after someone 3000 miles away. GB used to have a rule that said if an auction was closed early and there was a bid equal or higher than starting and any reserve that bidder had won the auction and gun, ha, try to get it. Have had this experience 3 times and all GB's answer to complaint was the seller made a mistake and deserved another chance since I think they knew they had no way to enforce the rule. These 3 instances involved high quality desireable pieces. I think what happens is the seller gets an off auction high offer for direct sale and maybe has just used listing for advertising. This rule was abandoned some time ago as it was not enforceable. My suggestion is if you are interested in something where seller says NO RETURNS, don't bid without first getting written statement he will accept return, no statement, no bid unless you wan't to gamble and hope he will.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Just post negative feedback, that's about your only option. Mitch is right about most people being honest,but there's always going to be cheats and liars in any business. You see,I've been self -employed for over 30 yrs.,and I understand the concept that you simply can't afford even one unhappy customer. But some people don't get that, or just don't care. Negative feedback will get them,believe me.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your bad deal on GB. I second Roger`s view that the negative feedback catches up with the guys that operate this way. It is up to you, but in this case the guy was selling a gun that many of us here would be looking for.The chances are that he may be selling another 8 or 81 in the future. Giving his GB handle on this forum would be a service to the members here that may have dealings with him down the road.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
1raggedhole

Post by 1raggedhole »

I know this is an old thread and thanks for the replies. I contacted the fellow mentioned above by email on that sight more than once and never got anywhere. One short reply and then nothing. does anyone know the thread pitch on this screw? I work too much and have teenage daughters and just don't have much time to dedicate to my guns at present but I would like to get this gun in working order.
Thanks so much.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

PM sent, good luck.

Another solution could be to offer the rifle for sale on GB with a reserve price 3 times what you might get.
One of our fellow collectors bought a tang sight that ended up bent and hammered. It's still for sale after 6 months.
Good advertising as he covers everything wrong with the sight and who he got it from.
Phyrbird
SOKY
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I had a guy in PA sell me a muzzleloader and he absolutely lied about the condition of the bore. GB was ZERO help. I considered involving the US Postal Service fraud division since it was shipped via the US mail but just dropped it.

I hit him with honest feedback. He replied giving me an "F" and I missed the chance to reply to his and explain. I had sent the payment within 24 hours of the auction close and by certified mail, signature receipt.

This seller is a big muzzleloader seller on GB....anyone that wants to know who he is send me a PM.

*If this reply is a forum violation I apologize but I have the memos and emails to back up everything I have typed.

**I belong to The Muzzleloading Forum and was able to find a gunsmith that can recut the rifling for a very reasonable price. I just need to get it done.

***I do agree that most sellers on GB (and I have bought lots from there) are great.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I think we need to give feedback on deals; it protects us all.
Yet still the admin needs to be able to verify in case of disagreement.
Phyrbird
SOKY