New to the Forum old to the gun.

New Member Introductions
Mchopperpilot

New to the Forum old to the gun.

Post by Mchopperpilot »

Hi,

I'm Mark Wells from central Arkansas. I am a retired Army Major, an Ordained Minister, a gradute Master Gunsmith and a life-long lover of Model 8's. Currently my dad and I have 7 Model 8's 2 - .25s, 1 - .30, 2 - .32s amd 2 - .35s all in perfect firing order (I'm also a fairly talented machinist) and shot fairly regularly.

For almost 60 years, until failing eyesight has given us both pretty much "No Go's" on open sights we for the greatest part downed enough Arkansas whitetail bucks to literally fill a railroad car with these wonderful old guns. As is, dad worked for years in the oilfields and I spent 23 years with the Army, so we've toted these guns pretty much around the world without finding game too tough for one caliber or another (lions, tigers, giraffes and elephants withstanding) to handle.

So we look forward to hearing from any and all and sharing anything our meager 100+ years of combined experience with the Model 8 might hold that will help keep the heritage of these great old guns going.
Roger

Re: New to the Forum old to the gun.

Post by Roger »

Welcome aboard, it's good to have another pair of guys who know more about these old warhorses than most of us do. I for one am always trying to learn more about them.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
keltg

Post by keltg »

hello and welcome aboard. As a 20 year amateur gunsmith working mostly on my own firearms, and now the past year of actually being licensed up here in Canada as a gunsmith its great to have experience around to be able to go to when in doubt. I am also pretty new to the model 8/81 realm. its been mostly lever guns for me till now.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome Mchopperpilot and thanks for your service to our country. You certainly have a rich history with these rifles, here on the site we keep a gallery of antique and modern pictures depicting Model 8's & 81's. Should you have any that you'd like to share we sure would be happy to put them on the website.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator