Clip for 35 Model 8

New Member Introductions
Igor1966

Clip for 35 Model 8

Post by Igor1966 »

Looking for info on finding a clip for my Model 8 35 cal I am a newbie but all the rifles I see on here appear to have none detachable clips
jack1653

Re: Clip for 35 Model 8

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Buddy,

Lots of luck in finding the clips. Many of us are looking for the clips and they are hard to find. I would almost say non-existent. Keep trying. Welcome aboard.

jack1653
Igor1966

Post by Igor1966 »

Thanks I will keep looking I have had this gun for time.A friend of mine took the Butt plate off and found a note in the stock That staed a mans name and the date he purchased in 1935 saying he killed 5 deer and one moose.I thought was pretty neat
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Folks have found notes, money, and all sorts of stuff in the stock. That is a great find having the owners name and information. I have yet to find anything in mine.

As to the removalable mags/clips, many of us have found Henwood's book an invaluable resource regarding our love of the ugly-hump-back and it’s history. As you may know, the factory mags/clips were never made to be removed. But for police work a removeable and enlarged mag/clip was made by the Peace Officer Equipment Co. of MO and then by Kreiger of MI. I do not own either kind but it is my understanding that when they are fitted the gun must be altered and thereafter they will always need the special mags. Which is not a bad thing since the value of the gun at least doubles after it is altered and has a removeable mag. :mrgreen:

Jack is correct in that many of us would like to own a "Special Police" or a "Kreiger" but only availability and $'s keep us from it. :roll:

On the other hand, if you are just looking to enjoy shooting the gun, like most of us, it's really very easy to load from the top. And just for interests sake, I noticed today that a seller on eBay has several 8/81 stripper clips for sale - I have not noticed them readily available before.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

stripper clips can be found online, usually through gunbroker or ebay.

Keep in mind that with most detachable magazine (standard 5 round) conversions the rifle itself must be modified, particularly the trigger plate which usually ends up housing the mag release/catch button. The magazines themselves are modified but you couldn't just take a Krieger magazine (even if you could find one by itself) and pop it into your rifle. Without a modified trigger plate there's nothing to hold it in there.

The 15 round Police magazines have their mag release/catch built into each magazine so they're a different design.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Igor1966

Post by Igor1966 »

I would like to trade it for a model 7400 270 I had one I deer hunted with and been sorry ever since I got rid of it
biggieroth

Post by biggieroth »

In doing research on the detachable clips I found that the Peace Officer Equipment Co, did not file the patent until the mid 30's. If I found a riflle with the 15 round clip butr had a 1907 serial number, what would that mean?
81police

Post by 81police »

Good eyes biggieroth and welcome to the forum! It means the rifle was not an original conversion done by Peace Officers' Equip Co. Here's more about the rifle you're talking about...

http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards.c ... thread=280
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator