new from Virginia

New Member Introductions
Adam Lee

new from Virginia

Post by Adam Lee »

Good morning y'all!

Noticed that "y'all" appears to be an accepted form of grammar on the site....LOL....and, seeing that my Virginia roots embrace that particular verbage, I already feel comfortable enough to join in!

I have been interested in American civilian and military arms for many years. Spent about a decade growing up on a farm before moving to the suburbs of NOVA in the late 70's, and it was a great experience learning to shoot at a young age. Groundhogs feared me and my Ruger 10/22 with Stinger hollow-points - at close range!

Flash forward to 2012 and my current status as 6th grade cat herder/classroom teacher.

I joined the SAR about 3 years ago with my dad's help, he is in the Winchester chapter and I am in the Fairfax chapter of the organization. When I did this, it was part of my great interest in preserving American history and sharing "real" historical experiences with elementary age students. My kids always get a kick out of seeing their teacher re-enacting a colonial farmer or Revolutionary War militiaman!

This got my small gun hobby collection directed towards black powder muskets, which is a whole 'nother story. I can make a thread later about my resurrection of a 1790's American fowler. I use it as part of my persona if I am demonstrating for my students. (Yes, I bring a GUN to school that day!!)

What brought me to the Remington 8's was my interest in the period 1890-1940 of American history and popular culture. This 50-year, half-century span of time is one which I really enjoy bringing to life in the classroom - when I can squeeze it into the curriculum. Dang administration nonsense...

The Great War and Depression era feature many civilian and military weapons that appeal to my mechanical "geek" side.
Although a Remington 8 still remains a "wish list" item for me, I am sure I will acquire one at some point. My recent fun-show find, an early 30's Savage 720 shotgun, has been plenty of fun to strip apart and clean up. I'd like to also come across a pre-war Model 11 Remington shotgun as well.

So, there you have it. My mini-biography, with absolutely no pictures. I will need a Model 8 first!

Adam
Attachments
My family flintlock
My family flintlock
P1100513.JPG (180.4 KiB) Viewed 5923 times
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Roger

Re: new from Virginia

Post by Roger »

Welcome aboard! I feel I must warn you about the Rem.8/81. They can be addictive to anyone who's involved with them. Be aware of the dreaded Jackitis.But seriously,you can count on helpful advice from just about everyone here on this forum. There are many years of experience available to you any time you need it.
And by the way,one of my best friends and fellow band mates,grew up in Winchester,Virginia.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Virginia? Heck y'all are welcome here too! :D

Adam we're very glad to have you on the forums. As Roger said, there's a lot of sharp cookies in here that can help with whatever questions you might have. The Model 8 (and 81) certainly have their own unique history. From something that was intended as a hunting/sporting firearm turned out to be a popular law enforcement firearm, even seeing miniscule use by the military. 106 years after their introduction, they're still going strong, a testament to their design.

We look forward to hearing more from you. Oh and proper grammar is not required here!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Welcome aboard Adam, nice flinter ya have there 8-)
Ya might be interested in my home made matchlock guns i made.
God Bless America, the land of the free, fer now anyway.
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome Adam,
Y`all is universal and from speech to the written form is understood. Many great days spent in the woods of Virginia at a camp just out from Farmville. Every year after a couple weeks with my Virginia buds I would return to Florida and pronounce certain words differently. House was whoozse, about became ahboot,and again wasn`t my N.Florida Agin it was EhGaine.... Always took a few weeks to get straightened out.
Love of history is the impetus for many of of us in collecting so you are in good company here.You are well on the way with playing with the 720 Savage and having a Model 11 on your wish list.I predict a Model 8 in your future soon, with others sure to follow.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
sh1nk3n

Post by sh1nk3n »

U of R graduate here, go Spiders! I have fond memories of VA. It's a great State.

Buying on Gunbroker/Gunauction.com is always a calculated risk, but there are usually some 8s/81s on there and some of them appear to be in excellent shape. I recently became part of the tribe with a 1947 Model 81 that I picked up on GB. So far, so good. Keep checking the auction sites, and bone up on the history of the rifle, so you can tell what's correct and what's not.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks for all the kind words of welcome. I am glad to be here!

Can't wait for the weekend - got a big "funshow" to work this Sunday. Going to share a vendor table with a buddy, and have some fun doing a few gunsmithing demos.

Well, not really gunsmithing - really just company armorer sorta demos. I have a lot of fun examining every little bitty part of old bolt rifles of the Mauser and Mosin persuasions, so I figured I'd bide my time at the vendor tables with a complete nut & bolt teardown and rebuild of several types.

Taking my own bcd4 Kar98k, and 1941 VKT M39 as examples. My buddy wants me to use his Yugoslavian Model 1924 and 1915 NEW (New England Westinghouse) M91 as well.
Should be fun!
These will be torn down to the screws and springs. I love tinkertoys! After some practice, the 720 Savage will be the next demo. Now, that will be a bit more time-consuming for me.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Careful, Fun-shows have been known to be Buy-shows for the vendors and occasional they let us civilians in for what's left over!

A 6th grade cat herder-gun nut... may your tribe increase!! Welcome abroad, seems likely you are going to have more to share then VA speak.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine