Another New Guy

New Member Introductions
coop923

Another New Guy

Post by coop923 »

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone here. This is a great board and a wealth of information and I figured it was time to join! :D I've always been a little interested in Savage 99s, but don't have one. My grandpa had one in .25-35 Winchester back in the 20s, but sold it. I have to admit I was never sorry he did, because he sold it to buy what he thought was the best deer rifle on the market, a new Model 8 in 35 Remington!

Some people are Chevy folks and some are Ford folks; and I guess that carries over to guns as well. I guess my family, for the most part, is closing in on about 100 years of being "Remington folks". The reason I'm here is because I have Grandpa's Model 8, and while I didn't hunt with it this year, it's oiled up and ready to go when it gets the nod.

Other Remingtons in the stable include Grandpa's dad's Model 11 that I learned to hunt with (my son will be the fifth generation to use it), My great-great uncle's Model 14a in .30 Remington and 12a; my Grandma's Model 24a and a 511a. When my Dad handed down the Model 11 to me, he bought an 1100 to keep with the Remington theme.

Anyway, I'm married with three sons and a dog, live in small town in rural Northern California and grew up here (as did the aforementioned generations) and spend as much time as possible in the woods and high country hunting, fishing, shooting, roaming with the kids, etc. I also help coach our high school trap team and am cub scout leader.

I'm glad to be here and look forward to getting to know you.

Happy New Year!

-Mark
Hardrada55

Re: Another New Guy

Post by Hardrada55 »

Happy New Year and welcome to a great website and forum.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi coop923,

Welcome to the site. Jump right in and take advantage of the expertise that is on this site. There is a wealth of information and a great bunch of Remington 8 & 81 lovers. Glad to have you with us.

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

Happy New Year Coop and welcome to the forum!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome indeed, neighbor. I'm about 100mi south of OR.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
coop923

Post by coop923 »

Thanks imfuncity. I'm just west of Yosemite.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

coop923 wrote:Thanks imfuncity. I'm just west of Yosemite.
Cool. Got my last Model 8 from an ammo reloader in Modesto. A safe queen that he never shot - worth the 200 mile drive!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine