My new for me 81

New Member Introductions
Old steel gunner

My new for me 81

Post by Old steel gunner »

Good evening, i picked up my 1949 model 81 from a gunsmith that had recieved it n an estate sale. This gun was given a 98% and was told it had only been shot less than a hundred time from wife of passed on owner!! I traded gunsmith a couple of WW I Brazilian Mausers. My intent was a winchester 94. This 81 was out of my price range but it looked mean and serious for big game!! Never had seen a 8 or 81 i was convinced to have it!! Found .35 Rem ammo at show and the trade was done. The next day the gunsmith walked me threw teardown,because he knew I dont picture frame my guns he said have fun!!! The next day we went to paper range and at 100 yds 4" pattern standing cause i wouldnt sit!! Great web site and man would I love to find a long clip. We will load pics as soon as we figure out how!!
jack1653

Re: My new for me 81

Post by jack1653 »

Welcome to the forum Old steel gunner. We are glad you found us. It sounds like you have found a real jewel with your rifle. You are going to be pestered to post some pictures of your new rifle. We like to see the old springpoles. If you have any questions, please just ask. There are several fellas here that will offer a helping hand and an occasional opinion.

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

Old steel gunner,welcome to the m-8/81 website @ forum. Jack is correct about finding help here for anything to do with these great old rifles. And don,t feel bad, i've been a member since Jan. And I still can't load pics on here.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome Old steel gunner! Sounds like you picked up a fine 81, and a great shooter at that!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Old steel gunner

Good evening and thanks guys for the warm welcome!!! Cant wait too show u pics???? Let a M-1 garand lover hold it yesterday and he couldnt believe how well its balanced and a teardown !!! He wants to buy the next box of 35 Rem to out to paper range !! Ha and I will try pics again tonight!!! Old steel Gunner
Old steel gunner

Good morning, well n my journey of life I have came across a Model 8 in very nice shape. It has a long skinny sidemount Lymon scope and shoots .30 rem.!?!!? Where can i find this ammo?? Or do i need to reload?? Thanks, old steel gunner
texassako

Post by texassako »

Old steel gunner wrote:Good morning, well n my journey of life I have came across a Model 8 in very nice shape. It has a long skinny sidemount Lymon scope and shoots .30 rem.!?!!? Where can i find this ammo?? Or do i need to reload?? Thanks, old steel gunner
A belated welcome to you, and there are several places to find ammo. Buffalo Arms and Old Western Scrounger usually stock custom loaded .30 Remington. It was also factory loaded for a long time so it shows up at shows and on the gun auction sights pretty regularly. It can get a bit pricey to shoot the .25, .30, and .32 Rems unless you reload.
Old steel gunner

Thank you thank you very much!!! Buffalo has some and ows is where i found ammo for my winchester 03's and when my 10 day see if im a bad guy wait period is up i will get pics of both my 8 and 81. I have ordered a tommy gun vertical pistol grip, to give the 8 that awsome AK look!!! And we have a gunsmith that Want to convert the 8 to a removable clip!!! We will update our progress!!! Happy shooting!! Old steel gunner
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Check out this link if you have not seen a Tommy Gun Verticle Grip on the Remington 81 .35. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2221.

Regards,

jack1653
Old steel gunner

Thank you very much!!! I will do like Jack and recess the vertical grip!!! I found that the Texas guy i saw pics of looked like someone had just mounted it to the existing forend??? Now is Jack still a member??? I have a few guys with parts guns and fully asm clips nos stock from remington already and and and wow!!!! What is a POE clip??? It kind of looks AK??? So many options for new guns and clips out now it would be easier and cost less if somthin alreay close in size??? Thanks all
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

I am still a member but have been doing a lot of traveling this fall and not on the forum. :( Things have slowed for me so I'll be back to taunt the newbies with "jackitis". :o It is about time to start some serious looking and finishing some conversions. :D

It took some modification to get the Tommy Gun Grip to work. You'll also notice that the forearm is not an original '81 forearm. The term "POE Clip" is just another term used to describe the Police Officer Equipment Co. magazine. To the best of the knowledge of several forum experts, there are no other extended magazines that will work in the Remington which has been modified to accept the POE mag. That being said, I am sure that with a lot of expense and fabrication anything can be done! :lol:

If you have any questions about what I did for the modification, just PM me and we can talk.

Regards,

jack1653
Old steel gunner

Thanks for reply, yes please I will hook up with you soon and get some pictures of where the release button or leaver was placed and catch looks like... we will start with just getting the magazine to release and have fun with one of the 5 round clip. and then use a couple more mounted together for a nice simple 10 round clip. Next yes I like the thicker forend, I have a spare forend from my model 11 autoloader 12 gauge. Thanks for tips and have a great evening, old steel gunner