Hello...rounded cartridge .32???

New Member Introductions
jason42inf

Hello...rounded cartridge .32???

Post by jason42inf »

I was checking out some things about my Model 8. My great uncle bought this about 100 years ago. I have some rounds, however I dont want to shoot them because myself and my day could not find any ammo for it. With my rifle..the rounds have a rounded back, my dad says that I will never find brass or ammo for it. Does anyone know about the rounded cartridge. this rifle is pre 1917.
Hardrada55

Re: Hello...rounded cartridge .32???

Post by Hardrada55 »

What kind of cartridge does your Model 8 shoot? You say a rounded cartridge .32? Do you happen to mean a .32 Remington cartridge? If you mean .32 Remington cartridge, then the cartridge companies haven't made .32 Remington since 1977. And while that cartridge is scarce now, you can sometimes find some at gun shows and online auctions. It can be a mite pricey though.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
jason42inf

Post by jason42inf »

it is a .32..I have 10 boxes full of ammo..but when my dad still owned it he tried for years to find the primer for reloads, also the bullet itself. I would love to shoot it again..last time I shot it was in 1987. some of the boxes are from the 40's and 50's. Also where can I run the S/N to see when it was actually made?

Thanks
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
81police

Post by 81police »

Jason,

Here's a link for some new mfg. 32 Remington by Old Western Scrounger.

http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php ... cts_id=147
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
texassako

Post by texassako »

jason42inf wrote:it is a .32..I have 10 boxes full of ammo..but when my dad still owned it he tried for years to find the primer for reloads, also the bullet itself. I would love to shoot it again..last time I shot it was in 1987. some of the boxes are from the 40's and 50's. Also where can I run the S/N to see when it was actually made?

Thanks
That is odd sounding, a pic of the ammo may be enlightening. .32 Remington uses a standard Large Rifle primer and the bullets are the same ones as .32 Winchester Special, .321" is the size and I know Speer and Hornady makes them. Brass is made by resizing .30 Remington brass. I just got done reloading 100 rounds for one. Buffalo Arms sells ammo as well and I used it before setting up to reload the .32 Rem. Looks like they are out right now: http://www.buffaloarms.com/32_Remington ... x?CAT=4445 . The .32 ammo does not seem as collectible or rare as say the .25 Rem unless it is something really different; so I say shoot some(save the brass as long as it says non-mercuric primed).
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Not likely that any US-made .32 Remington ammunition was ever loaded using mercuric primers, as those were pretty much history worldwide by the turn of the 20th century, for many very good reasons. Afterwards, until the late 1920's, civilian ammunition was loaded with chlorate-based primers, which were good, but caused bore corrosion if not cleaned properly and completely after firing. The military continued to use chlorate primers for small arms ammunition until well after WWII (except for .30 Carbine ammunition). After that, at least in the US, virtually all primer compositions used Lead Styphnate as the sensitive component, and bore rusting was no longer a problem. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you can't shoot your ammunition even in the unlikely event it has corrosive primers. Just be sure you clean the bore well, using water to dissolve the chloride salts present, after shooting. If you reload, soak the cases in water to remove the chloride salt residue inside the case. None of that extra treatment is necessary for non-corrosively primed ammunition (Kleanbore, Staynless, etc.).

Depending on just how old your ammunition is, and the condition of the boxes, they may have some significant collector value. Full boxes of old ammunition in excellent condition could be prizes. Ratty or incomplete or partially-full boxes and corroded or tarnished ammunition never will be. You might post pictures and I can give you some opinion about that. Most any ammunition made after WWII won't have much, if any, collectible premium, but there are a few rare boxes from the 1940s that might. In general, almost any ammunition made in the 1930s or later should be sure fire and will be perfectly safe to shoot. So shoot them and be sure to save the cases for reloading. As earlier noted, .30 Rem cases are more easily obtained than .32 Rem cases, and can be simply neck-expanded to .32 provided you have reloading dies for .32 Rem. Primers and .321" diameter bullets are readily available. Reloading .32 Rem is no different or more difficult than reloading any other CF rifle cartridge. I have to assume that by "Rounded cartridges" you mean they simply have round-nose bullets.