M8 35 cal semi auto

New Member Introductions
rudetoad57

M8 35 cal semi auto

Post by rudetoad57 »

I have visited this site many times....but just now joined because i was stumped about my newly aquired M8. I grew up useing this gun whenever we were going hunting in a thick wooded area as a kid..it was my fathers....he passed in '95 but my mother passed in 2011 and my 4 siblings and i have been slowly cleaning the house out to sell.....from a cabnet full of guns...no one seemed interested in her.....as i was the only one that ever shot it besides dad.The serial # is 11750 which puts it around 1907....above the serial # is an 8 and below the s/n is a P with a circle around it.....all that can be sifered by someone.....but what has me wondering is on the side of the lock in pretty sizeable letters it has Little Partner ingraved on the side.....thats the mystery....it also has 21 tiny notches carved into the for stock.....all in all...its been years sence i shot it...and i'm looking forward to it......if anyone wants to take a crack at her marking.....i would be appreciative Bill after a few failed attempts to put pics on here....i went a different way....follow this link to my pictures http://remingtonm8.shutterfly.com/
Last edited by rudetoad57 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
mr mike

Re: M8 35 cal semi auto

Post by mr mike »

Welcome "rudetoad57",
I just happened to be here when your post came in so allow me to welcome you. You've come to
model 8 heaven with lots of swell folks that will help you in anyway possible to get the most from
your classic old rifle.
I am also a newby but looking through my model 8 "bible" The great Remington 8 book by John Henwood
I have a couple of thoughts for you. Your rifle according to the book seems to be a 1908 year manufacture.
Your serial is several numbers higher than my 1908 model 8. With regard to he markings you ask about they are listed in
Mr Henwoods book as assemblers, fitters and Inspecters marks. The circle P seems pretty common on 1908
manufacture rifles. Also I could be wrong bit I think that 8 mark should be an S which is also pretty common in that era.
I'm sure he more senior folks on here will square me away if I'm wrong.

Anyway, welcome. Sure hope you can post some photos of your rifle. Always nice
Respects Mike
texassako

Post by texassako »

+1 for some pics. Sounds like someone was keeping score of how many deer were brought home with that rifle. Does the "Little Partner" look professionally done? Maybe the score keeper gave the rifle a name.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Welcome to the forum for rem.8/81 nutcases like me. Beware that they are addictive. It sounds like it was named by some previous owner who was very fond of it. You're really lucky to have a family heirloom like a rem 8. I have 3 of my grandfathers guns. I wouldn't trade them for any amount of money. Have some real fun with your M-8!!
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey rudetoad57,

Welcome to the forum. It is always goodto hear when a fella gets a gun that use to belong to his Dad. I bet if you think real hard, some good stories about this rifle will come to the forefront of your memory. Check with other family members or friends that use to hunt with your Dad. With that many notches, there has to be some good stories.

Anyway, welcome and if we can help you in any way, just ask. A few pictures will always be welcome and may help with some answers. If you have trouble with pictures, like I do, there are some guys here who will glady make the posting for you.

Regards,

Jack1653