Hello

New Member Introductions
Jermsking

Hello

Post by Jermsking »

Hello,

Glad I found this site. My name is Jeremy King, I have what I'm pretty sure is a model 8 (I'll throw up some pics), but may be an 81, that I have had for about 15 years. I got it, along with some other things, from a friend that owed me some money and was moving out of state. The action seems good on it, I've cleaned it, but never fired it. Found some ammo at a gun show a few years ago, but the guy wanted more than I was willing to spend just to see if it fired. Serial number is 5316 and would make it a 1907 if it is a model 8, or a 1937 if it's an 81. Not sure what the J is for. Has the straight stock with a chip missing from the left side near the rear sight. The rear sight on the barrel is missing but the screws are still there. Taken it to a few gun shows trying to get some info on it and see what it's worth and all they ever say is, "I'll buy that rear sight from you" not much else, LOL. Only info I was given by the guy is that it was his grandfathers. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeremy "Jerms" King

Land of the free
BECAUSE of the brave!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
please feel free to stand in front of them!!
Hardrada55

Re: Hello

Post by Hardrada55 »

Nice ol' Model 8. So that would be 1907. Doesn't look like much finish is left on the metal and as you've noted, there's a chip out of the wood next to the tang. The tang sight is worth some money, as you've been informed. You should be able to pick up .35 Remington at Walmart. But, considering her condition, I'd have a 'smith check it out first. No reason to unduly stress the old girl if she's not feelin' up to firing. I hate to guess what a gun is worth because I'm invariably wrong. Best thing going for her is the old peep sight. You're not going to get as much for her because the condition is not very good. But people on this board really appreciate the Model 8 and you might find a buyer that would like to own that gun for the right price.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Jermsking

Post by Jermsking »

Thanks for the info. Know of a couple local smiths, I'll have one of them check it out. Anyone know what the "J" stamp by the serial number means?
Jeremy "Jerms" King

Land of the free
BECAUSE of the brave!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
please feel free to stand in front of them!!
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

It is an "assemblers', fitters' and inspectors'" mark...a pretty common one on early Model 8s. The way John Henwood explains it in his book, (I paraphrase...) workers in the Remington factory were paid for each "piece" they turned out that passed inspection. If they made a part of the gun they were responsible for that did not pass inspection, they often had to redo the work on their own time without getting paid for the extra work. So to keep up with that process of different workers being responsible for different parts of the gun, each part having to pass inspection, they issued the workers "unique stamps" so they could keep up with who was doing what and how good they were doing it. Early on these stamps were often letters. Later on the stamps got smaller and they became more symbolic, with four leaf clovers, stars, etc.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
model8man

Post by model8man »

Hey you want to sell that back sight?

Just kiddin'...kind of.

Great piece of Americana you got there. Imagine the stories it could tell if it could talk.

Honestly if you need to or want to sell it, it would probably be most valuable parted out.

I am restoring an old 35...see some part there I could use myself.

Randy