New Model 8 owner

New Member Introductions
JohnP

New Model 8 owner

Post by JohnP »

Hello. I recently inherited a Model 8 from my Grandfather. Serial # 24XXX, which according to this site was manufactured in 1911. Stamped on the bolt is "25-35 Rem, but it takes Rem 25. Gun came with several old boxes of Ammo. Shot about 10 rounds at the range yesterdy and it fired great. It is in Fair condition, but bore is very good, no pitting good rifling. some blue remains on receiver but none on the barrel sleeve except under forestock. , but Wood has usual bumbs and bruises (straight grip) Stamped on the barrel sleeve, "made by Remington etc). some questions to start:

1. is there an exploded diagram of the gun somewhere?
2. a Marbles peep sight was installed, but original rear was removed. Is there some place to find an original rear sight?
3. I read that the Remington 25 is long discontinued but is it safe to reload the brass I have? It is in good condition. Are dies available? and bullets?
4. I've seen the forum string on reproduced spanners from Circle B, but are these generally availalble? Are they available elsewhere?

Thx all

JohnP
imfuncity

Re: New Model 8 owner

Post by imfuncity »

Greetings and welcome. Indeed you are starting out with one of the rarest and a heirloom - terrific.

1. Is there an exploded diagram of the gun somewhere?
Yes. Click on the model 8 rifle at the top of the page, there all sorts of helps – scroll down and you will see a parts list/exploded view; also under downloads you will find a manual.

2. A Marbles peep sight was installed, but original rear was removed. Is there some place to find an original rear sight?
They come up every once in a while on eBay, GB, etc. but someone here might have an extra.

3. I read that the Remington 25 is long discontinued but is it safe to reload the brass I have? It is in good condition. Are dies available? and bullets?
Yes. Although I don’t reload (yet) I did find the dies on eBay a while back, have seen them also on GB, and I’m told there should be no problem reusing the old brass – the biggest problem is unloading the old ammunition!! HANGFIRES are no fun and very dangerous!

4. I've seen the forum string on reproduced spanners from Circle B, but are these generally available? Are they available elsewhere?
Nope, Bob is your man - unless you make your own, as several of us have done.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jthgunnut

Post by jthgunnut »

For brass, loaded ammunition and dies try Buffalo Arms Co. at the website:

www.buffaloarms.com

They cater to a lot of obsolete calibers.

Jon
sting75ray

Post by sting75ray »

Congrats on your Model 8 :D :D
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Welcome....and congratulations on your grandfathers Model 8. I also inherited my grandfathers Model 8....it is stamped 25 Rem on the barrel extension, but he had it changed to 30 Rem...re-bored. It is a rifle that I dearly cherish, and hunt with.

Enjoy your new acquisition.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

I would be cautious about reloading that old brass. I read a story somewhere where a guy fired and reloaded very old 25/30/32 Remington ammo and ended up destroying his gun. He used mild loads, but the believed cause of death was the mercuric primers weakening the brass and causing a complete casehead separation. Whatever you do just be careful.
[img]http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-71-27209-Canada_Flag.jpg[/img]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"
coop923

Post by coop923 »

[quote=...the believed cause of death was the mercuric primers weakening the brass and causing a complete casehead separation. [/quote]

I've heard this too. Some of the old brass I've seen seems thinner than the new stuff -from chemical erosion, or whatever reason. New brass is available so I would suggest playing it safe. I wouldn't want to take chances with a heirloom, but that's me. If the old ammo is still in the boxes, they're kinda cool to just keep around.
Roger

new model 8 owner

Post by Roger »

I also have a 25/35 rem m-8. Mine is in the 17000 serial range. It came from a working ranch in idaho. Your serial number puts yours near the end of that marking I believe. As for reloading old brass,be careful. I reload about 25 calibers total @have loaded some old 25 rem. 30 rem. 35 rem.300 savage. No problems yet.But none of them started out w/ corosive primers. I don't know how you can tell if you don't have the original box.they usually tell if the primers are not corosive. Congrats on your heirloom@ have fun w/ it. I have 3 of my grandpa's guns. I shoot them all as he would have wanted me to. Marlin39,Colt 1903 32 Cal.auto,stevens 410 shotgun used for pesky coons,dogs,@possums with rocksalt loaded shells!
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
coop923

Post by coop923 »

I'm developing quite a fascination for the .25 Remington; a model 8 in .25 is working its way up my wish list. :D
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

thx all this is all good info, especially the cautions on old brass. I do intend to shot this gun. I was impressed by the power of that 25 Remington. A nice round. I also have his Marlin 39 from the early 50s. Cleaned it up. replaced the missing front and rear sights and replaced the broken magazine tube ring. Shoots great.