New 81 owner

New Member Introductions
hiltu

New 81 owner

Post by hiltu »

I had been on the market for a semi auto hunting rifle for quite some time. I had a Ruger M77 that I sold to fund my new gun. After looking into the Remington 8's I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a relative weak and obsolete caliber weapon. Insert the 81 chambered in .300 Savage. I found this beauty on GB for $525. Advertised as all-original, it was slightly inaccurate. The stock had been refinished and by refinished I mean someone slathered varnish on the stock and forearm while it was still on the receiver and barrel. It looked very sad. I used lacquer thinner and got the wood back down to stain. I was also able to get the varnish removed from the metal. A couple coats of Tung oil and she's good to go. Today I shot it for the first time and it cycled perfectly for all 12 rounds I shot. I purchased a Weaver side mount base and the pro-tool from RemCrazy and will soon get 26mm rings and a Lyman Challenger 4x scope to match.
sighthound

Re: New 81 owner

Post by sighthound »

Congratulations on your choice and dedication to undoing Bubbas messing up and restoring your 81 to its deserved glory, should you become infected with Jackitis and have to have another the 35 Remington ammo is still available and a real thumper on both ends. Jerry
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Hiltu,

Welcome to the forum. You have started with a nice rifle. We appreciate the pictures and glad to hear that you like the rifles. I hope it will be the first of many for you. Let us know if we can help with questions. There are a lot of good guys here and are always willing to offer help.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

Hiltu,

Your Model 81 looks mighty clean, I like it!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
hiltu

Post by hiltu »

those pics were prior to fixing the varnish. It does appear to be a bit lighter in color due to the dye in the original varnish. I do have a question that developed after loading my 81 for the first time. At the rear end of the magazine, there is the metal tabs that curve in preventing the shell from just popping out, makes sense. But how do you load a stripper clip as it appears the bullets would hit the barrel trying to load them in the same fashion as one would do if he were loading them individually?
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome indeed, will look forward to the next set of pics too.

Wonder about your question also, but have no stripper clips to experiment.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
hiltu

Post by hiltu »

the color is lighter, so I'm going to ask. With the slight variations from the factory over the years, does this appear outside of the range of factory shade stain?
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Looks mighty good to me. As long as the wood is still standing up proud and you reveal it (if you are selling it) I can't see why it would make a difference - of my group there are several shades of light and dark. Want do a couple more? ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
hiltu

Post by hiltu »

send me 5 rifles and I will make 4 of them look good. The other one will probably get "lost" at my house.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Understand that one :D
sting75ray

Post by sting75ray »

Great looking 81. :D :D
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Welcome to the forum and model 8's...you will want more ("jackitis")!

Great job on fixing the messed up wood....looks good.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
ronnie the rebel

Post by ronnie the rebel »

Great to be on board! I live in Cali, a once beautiful state that encouraged outdoor sports but is now so politically correct and anti gun that I worry that the models 8 and 81's will be designated an "assault weapon!" My first introduction to the the model 81 was a beautiful mint rifle my brother in law had that I went hunting up north in the Klamath River area with. That was summer of 1969. It was in 300 savage. Unfortunately, it was stolen about 20 years later never to be found again. Now I have 3 beauties. A model 8 in .32 and two model 81's in 99% as the 300 savage was made in 1950 and the .35 in 1940. The 300 is perfect and the barrel under a scope is pristine with no pits or degradation of any kind whatsoever. Both rifles shoot 1" to 1.5 inches at 100 yards! Amazing for iron sites. I used Hornady's lever revolution for the .35 and Remington 150 grain kor loc in 300 savage. Both great ammo the 81's had no trouble handling. The .32 is a great shooter too. No problem finding .32 ammo at the gun shows here in Cali. Now I am looking for a pristine .30. These rifles are starting to show up in our local gun shows in various conditions. I am very picky because most of these sellers don't really like these weapons as they are not real popular here. Values are based on the price guide books but usually you can get a lower price as they really want to sell them because there is no strong demand for them. I too am hooked on these magnificent weapons! I will buy any nice one I find in any caliber. I look forward to talking to you all. I did buy Cam's tools and they work splendidly! I tore down all three and they cleaned up magnificently.