Another new guy

New Member Introductions
model8man

Another new guy

Post by model8man »

What a great forum, can't believe I was able to find this. You guys were not easy to find! I knew there had to be some other guys out there that were into model 8's!

I grew up in the Adirondack mountains of Northern New York. The most popular guns carried in the woods in those days were model 8's and 81's. Killed my first buck with a model 8 35 rem that originally belonged to my Grandfathers uncle. Serial # on that gun puts it at 1908. I still have it and plan on taking it to Canada bear hunting. My dad has a model 8 32 Rem, with a deluxe pistol grip and beautiful cut checking on the grip and forearm. Would anybody know what grade that might be? My grandfather bought that gun from a civil war veterans widow and carried it when he was a guiding in the Adirondacks in the late teens and early 20's My uncle has my great uncles model 8 30 remington that he carried while when he was also guiding with my grandfather. Lots of model 8 history in our family goin' WAY back.

Lookn' forward to learning more about these great guns

Randy
model8man

Re: Another new guy

Post by model8man »

This is a picture of my model 8. Serial #9490. 35 rem. Not much blueing left on it, but no rust or pitting anywhere.

This is exactly the way it looked the day my grandfather gave it to me in 1979. Killed my first buck with it. A gigantic 8pt buck that dressed out at 190lbs.

I don't know a whole lot about the guns history before I got it other than my grandfather got it at some point from his uncle.

I realize that at some point Bubba put a recoil pad on it, but does that stock look factory to you? I'm thinkn it should have been a straight grip.

Thanks

Randy
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (128.34 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (113.31 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
model8man

Post by model8man »

Yeah:

It ain't much to look at and I know it ain't worth nothn', but I'm kind of attached to the thing for obvious reasons.

Lookn' to expand my knowledge and collection of 8's. Been collecting Savage 99's for a while. These model 8's are way cool and a lot more reasonably priced. I could have bought all the model 8's I wanted 25 years ago for $200. Didn't want to spend that kind of money on what I thought were antiquated rifles at the time? Thought my money was better spent on shiney new autos with high powered scopes. Who knew?

GEEEZ!

Randy
81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome to the forum model8man, cool looking old 8 you got there!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
model8man

Post by model8man »

Does anybody know someone that might be able to restore this gun for me? Thanks.

Randy