Community Building Exercise

New Member Introductions
Western

Community Building Exercise

Post by Western »

I can say that, bar none, the Model 8 community is the most respectful, knowledgeable, and generally helpful groups I have ever come across. Although my Model 8 is my hobby, I have to as part of my research study how people communicate in online communities, and as a free-lance member of law enforcement I often have to delve into the dregs of the Internet and see (literally) the worse that humanity has to offer.

In honor of this fine group, I would like to propose a community building exercise: who has the most unique 8 / 81. I read the forum and I suspect I know, but we should shower these people with the honors they deserve. I will update this page with the answers as they are posted here. By the way, please only include partial serial numbers as much as possible. Remember, in keeping with the spirit of this, truthful answers only and it is designed to be fun, no need to answer if you are embarrassed to show bubba'd 8 or admit you have 11 ex-spouses.

Oldest Member of the Forum: Sighthound Rumors of his being a member of the rough riders are obviously false.
Youngest Member of the Forum: 81police still gets carded when buying a beer.
Lowest Serial Number Model 8: Western 3xxx
Highest Serial Number Model 8
Lowest Serial Number Model 81
Highest Serial Number 81
Ugliest Model 8/81
Most years of formal education
Most years of military service
Most number of spouses
Most number of children
Most number of grandchildren
Most number of great-grand-children
Last edited by Western on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
imfuncity

Re: Community Building Exercise

Post by imfuncity »

Agree Cam and all the members do a great job of creating family/community. But... the pictures of members was bad enough, now this... could get really scary! :lol:

I submit Sighthound/Jerry as the Oldest at 87 as of 01.01.12.

And, I would have said that Sighthound also has the Ugliest 8 (‘cause he bought it from me!) But over the last year or so, I’ve seen some REALLY bad ones here. Agree pictures are needed, at least on this one! ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

We do certainly appreciate the compliments Western, it's the members here that keep this place so fun and friendly! THANK YOU!

Youngest Member of the Forum: I nominate myself for this one. I'm 31 and am prepared for any "haha's", smiley faces, or other general age related mockery. :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

31 what a treasure, would gladly trade all my guns and gold for 31 that is if I could keep all other lifes experiences, having lived in the best of times ever, from pioneer Oregon raw sagebrush land homestead to seeing moon landing and man in space. Life is good, Cam enjoy all your remaining years as I intend to do mine.
Best wishes and regards to all you kids and seasoned citizens, Jerry
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Western: Yes. rumor about Rough Riders is not true, that was my Grandfather, I recall his tales about Cuba very well, as well as my Great Grandfathers, one a Union Cavalry Officer , the other a Confederate Infantry soldier and their stories of the War Between the States, and a neighbor who traveled world with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show and an old gunsmith who had served in US Calvary on both sides of border trying to capture Poncho Villa, and later contemporary with likes of Alvin linden, August Pachamayer, Schellhamer and others developing sporting rifles from surplus military rifles and making custom rifles for likes of Elmer Keith. If you have access to Keith's books you can see examples of his work, C. W. (Jack) Frost or on display at the Keith museum at Cabelas in Boise. ID.
These experiences were not fully appreciated at the time, but that is common and the way with history, too often one is to close to history and more like current events and not fully appreciated until later.
Nowdays the service and sacrifice of our military in Iraq, Afghanastan in not appreciated and their inability to obtain adequate care upon returning home is a national shame, the treatment of Viet Nam veterans was and is a national disgrace, while the likes of Hanoi Jane live in their ivory towers and are fawned on by national media and entertainment industry.
One can only hope America can return to its roots of national pride and all citizens will be proud responsible and Americans not some hyphenated subculture. As John Wayne was quoted, "Why should i have to press 1 for english?"
Jerry
Western

Post by Western »

sighthound wrote: One can only hope America can return to its roots of national pride and all citizens will be proud responsible and Americans not some hyphenated subculture. As John Wayne was quoted, "Why should i have to press 1 for english?"
Jerry
I feel you sighthound. Recently I went to a political rally for a political party that need not be mentioned, whose membership, money, and support I have offered since 1986. I am quite proud of even the limited service I provided the police in my younger years, before health took away my ability to serve the community in that way. When I was at the rally, I was wearing a pin with my police affiliation on my chest, when a young turk member of the party, whose political wing has recently come to prominence, told me I could never truly be a member of the party and my input and support was no longer wanted because I represented the oppressive government that seeks to take our rights and guns away.

I replied I was proud of the efforts I made in my day to take guns away from people despite my lifetime membership in the NRA and my unusual status of being a college professor that supports the 2nd Amendment, because most of the guns I took away were in the hands of gangers, child molesters, abusive idiots who like to hit women, thugs, and predators, and almost every gun I took was illegally owned anyway. Then I left. I have decided not to vote in this election in protest. When did serving your fellow human become a sin?

One reason I like all you codgers is that you come from a time when service, be it a fireman, mail person, or soldier, was respected for what it was: service, not mindlessly hated by people who never served a day of their life at anything.