Howdy from British Columbia

New Member Introductions
Timberhunter

Howdy from British Columbia

Post by Timberhunter »

I've been using the site for information on my model 8 for a long time and figured it was time to join up.
My 8 is in 35 rem and was made in 1910. It has a K with a circle around it stamped on the barrel and receiver that I haven't been able to find out about yet. Its in original condition and I would rate it at 80-85% for overall condition. Has the tang sight along with the original rear and front sight.
I got the rifle from a friend because one of my grampas brothers had one back in the 40's and I always wanted one. His was stolen, but there were many stories about hunting with him and his 35 mod 8. This rifle had the serial numbers x'd out on the receiver which made me suspect it may have been the same rifle. And the thief had crossed out the serial numbers. Although the number is on the wood and stamped on the bolt as well. Dumb thief? The rifle came from the same area as his was stolen from as well.
Along the BC coast the model 8's were commonly used by market hunters back in the day. I have seen many photos of my family members and my hunting partners family members and their model 8's. Mostly on fishing boats with a bunch of dear and bear hanging off the rigging. Another reason for wanting this rifle.
I haven't shot the rifle yet as work has kept me from having too much fun these days. But I'm looking forward to using it in the timber next fall for mulies. And since I own a cast bullet business I'm thinking about using cast for plinkers and 200gr remintons for hunting. If the cast shoot well I will probably load them for hunting as well as most timber shots here are under 50 yards.

Thanks for a great site and all the information.
imfuncity

Re: Howdy from British Columbia

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome, up north. Thanks for the story and finally joining up - what a great heritage. Sure sounds like it could be the correct rifle. And, knowing these rifles, it will likely shoot just as well and you can start the cycle all over again. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome from N.E. Florida. We are glad you have stopped lurking and joined us. If you have been visiting and reading posts you know that we love pictures especially our friend Mitch. Hope you share photos of your 8 and if possible some of the family photos you spoke of.We`d love to see them. Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Timberhunter

Post by Timberhunter »

I will certainly post some pictures. And hopefully a picture of the 8 laying against a nice 4 point mulie next fall.
81police

Post by 81police »

Timberhunter,

It's really great to have ya on here :) I too would love to see these old market hunter photographs! Sounds like you'll end up making some new memories with this fine Model 8 of yours.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Western

Post by Western »

I have been photographing and scanning photos of a friends collection for his website, and my students routinely produce historical projects on firearms. The internet is a great place to share these gems.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Welcome TH, I'd like to see pics of your rifle but I would REALLY like to see the market hunter pics. Dennis
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Welcome Timberhunter,

Hope that you enjoy the forum. The guys here are very knowledgeable and helpful.

I am from western Oregon, and the blacktail deer hunting here is mostly short range shooting also. The mulies in eastern Oregon in most cases require a little longer range shooting. I prefer hunting the mulies (not as much brush and timber), but it is difficult to draw tags for those hunts, as they are very limited in number available. Where I like to hunt the most, it takes about 15 years to accumulate enough points to draw a tag. For about thirty years, between 1960 and 1990, our family hunted that area, and very seldom saw any other hunters. But as time passed, word got out about what great hunting it was. It was not unusual for our hunting party to have 10-15 four, five, and six point bucks, (counting only one side) hanging on the pole every year.

I have a 1907, 30 Rem, and a 1911, 30 Rem, and a 1949, 35 Rem. The 1911, 30 Rem was my Grandfathers hunting rifle for most of his life, and then my father shot his first buck each year with it after he passed on, and I inherited it when my father passed, and I used it last fall for my deer hunt. It was a good nostalgic feeling to be hunting with the same rifle, that they used to harvest so many deer and elk in their lifetime.

Is there any way that you have of knowing what the serial # was of your Grandpa's brothers' rifle that was stolen?

That could be a good reminder for all of us to photograph all the rifles, shotguns, and pistols, and record all the serial #'s in our collections, which is something that I have put on my agenda to get done in the next couple of months. Could be helpful in recovery and for insurance purposes...

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Timberhunter

Post by Timberhunter »

No there is no way of knowing the serial number. It was long before any registration here in BC or canada was being done.
I have my dad digging for old family photos and other photos of the old timers with their guns from the coast. I asked him to also go to the fish and game club where I used to live to take a picture of a model 8 that was donated to the club. And now sits behind glass. I don't remember the story on the gun exactly. But also in the glass case is a picture like I described before. A fishing boat with a mess of deer hanging from the rigging.
I have moved off the island and now live in the Caribou southern interior of BC. On the island we had the small blacktail deer to hunt. And fantastic black bear hunting. Shots on the island range from mear feet to as far as you may want to shoot across a clearcut. Probably quite similiar to Oregon's coastal hunting.
Over the years I've shot a lot of deer while living on the island (Vancouver Island). We had a 3 deer per year limit, with a season that went from the last week of august until december 15th.
Probably the most memorable deer hunt I had was on the last day of the hunting season for me one year. I was running an archery shoot on the last weekend of hunting season. I was hunting in a shotgun only area with my CVA 12 gauge sxs using 80grs of 2F blackpowder and 9-36 caliber balls down each barrel. I shot the deer from 5 paces away while I was kneeling in his bed as he returned for a sleep. We looked at each other for 25-30 seconds before I figured he wouldn't hang around too much longer. Here is a picture of me with that buck. Of the nine 36 cal balls, all but one was accounted for. Notice the ruffled hair on the side of his neck and face which is the aiming point. Seven balls in the neck, one through the ear and one is missing. None hit the rack, not that it would have mattered as its about meat for me. I hunt in clothes similiar to what the oldtimers used. Wool pants and a comfortable jacket, no camo.
This is a picture of a moose I shot at around 35 yards. The hunt took place not to far from where I live now. Sure wish it was the 35 rem leaning against the moose instead of my 300 win. I would have to say that since I started hunting at age 10 until now and I will be 40 in a couple of weeks. 95% of my shots at game have been under 100 yards well within range of my model 8. Unfortunately I haven't taken a lot of pictures of myself with game. My hunting partner and I have often said we should have kept journals to keep track of the animals and areas but we never have. There not many years when we did not take our 3 deer limit and 2 bear limit. Adds up to a lot of critters. I consider myself extremly lucky to have grown up where we were able to hunt our brains out every year. I wish I had the time now to hunt like we used to.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Love it guys.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey TH,

I am a little late in welcoming you aboard. Glad to have you and I liked the history story. We need more stories like yours to give us a better perspective of what these old rifle went through. Your pictures are great and I hope you can come up with the other old pictures of the "meathaul". You are in one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Let us know if we can help with any questions.

Regards,

jack1653