Hello All

New Member Introductions
Western

Hello All

Post by Western »

I just shelled out 50 hard earned dollars on a model 8 at the local pawn / consignment shop, cheapest rifle on the rack, and after only six hours I am in love. Serial number high 2000s, .35 REM, pristine barrel, 80-90% blue, strong / clear rifling gauged at near factory original my friendly neighborhood gunsmith, and an old 1920s or 1930s vintage Redfield peep sight. While I have been told now they are usually more expensive, even for a rifle 10 times the cost it seems like the model 8 is an unsung hero.

Please count me as the newest fan.
imfuncity

Re: Hello All

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome - indeed. What's the address of the pawn shop? :lol:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Wow!!!! Isn't it nice to find these old girls in such nice shape....and at a priceless bargain. You did well. Any one part of that rifle is probably worth more than what you paid.., but all together, well, who knows....

By the way, welcome.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
81police

Post by 81police »

Western,

It's great to have you as a member of this 8/81 forum. Nice Model 8, talk about a steal :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Western

Post by Western »

Thanks for the welcome.

I wish I knew the background of my rifle. I know that the rifle was made in 1907, the sight added after market sometime after the 1920s - 1930s (when this particular peep sight was made by Redfield) and that the early model 8s, unlike the later makes and the model 81s, have a serious lack of model and make information - not even the traditional Remington barrel ID was in use. The stock though is custom, a similar stock appears on the model 81.

The most amazing thing I am finding out is how many people still use the model 8s for hunting.
81police

Post by 81police »

The most amazing thing I am finding out is how many people still use the model 8s for hunting.
From where you're from, do a lot of people still hunt with the 8 or 81?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Western

Post by Western »

I went to one of the three stores that carry hunting ammunition in the county. We are a rural county with no town over 10,000 people with 45,000 total permanent residents. I inquired about the .35 Remington ammunition and the wise old clerk asked me if I had a Marlin or a Woodsmaster? Turns out they keep a small stock of .35 Remington always handy and claim there are quite a few shooters with Woodsmasters, and some former Woodsmaster shooters that own Marlin 336. He claimed that I was the youngest of the lot.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"Wise-old-clerk... youngest of the lot." Like!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Western

Post by Western »

imfuncity wrote:"Wise-old-clerk... youngest of the lot." Like!

The rifle is 63 years older than me. It was 30 odd years older than the clerk at the hunting store. Some would call the clerk nosey, but I found him a charming font of information. He knows all of his customers and what rifle they carry. He hates the trend of city kids coming up to hunt illegally with AK-47s and will not stock 7.62x39mm ammunition. State law requires all brass to be policed, so he carries a single shot H&R .45-70 that was probably new when the US invaded the Philippines.

I have a soft spot in my heart for old hunters and retired cops.
coop923

Post by coop923 »

Looks like a beauty and a very sweet deal! Congratulations on the find!