Greetings from the tarheel state

New Member Introductions
crazy eights

Greetings from the tarheel state

Post by crazy eights »

First let me say what a great site you have. I just purchased my first model 8 and have fallen in LOVE with it. I have been an avid gun collector and hunter for years. I have went through the Win. model 12 craze and am still addicted to pre 64 win. model 70s. My one other weakness is Rem. model 11-48s, these are great shotguns and also a Browning design. My model 8 was manufactured in 1926 serial #52089 with an optional pistol grip stock.I would call the original blueing at about 95% and the original wood finish at about 95% also. No dings in the barrel shroud and no extra holes in the reciever, just a very nice all orignal example of rem. model 8. The rifle shoots and functions great. I will attempt to post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to accomplish this. I am curious about the lack of sling swivels on these guns, I know that the small swivel on the forearm is really just to attach the forearm to the barrel shroud. So where should the swivels be located and would anyone know where I could purchase a set. I would really like to have a sling on this old rifle as deer season is fast approaching and I really want to see how the .35 rem performs on something besides paper. Thanks Robert
Cozahome

Re: Greetings from the tarheel state

Post by Cozahome »

Welcome! You will find this forum very useful.
crazy eights

Post by crazy eights »

Thanks for the info on the sling, I am hesitant to drill a hole in the stock for a sling swivel. My rifle does have the small screw in the bottom of the barrel shroud for the front sling swivel. If you would like to e-mail me the info on the slip on sling it would be appreciated. Also I may have to take you up on assisting me with posting my pictures on the site. This is the first forum I have ever used and am learning as I go. Thanks Robert
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

War Eagle!
TNrifleman

Post by TNrifleman »

Crazy Eights,

First, welcome to the forum. Your Model 8 is really a nice looking original condition rifle. So many times these old classics have been "bubbasized" and have been ruined by well-meaning, but inept or ill-advised alterations. I share your fondness for Pre '64 Model 12 shotguns and Model 70 rifles.

I have long preferred a sling on any long arm I carry for hunting purposes. I have not altered my Model 81 because it is just too nice to change. I'd recommend using the type of sling that Packmule or 35Rem mentioned.

You will really enjoy shooting and hunting with your Model 8. It is a classic JMB design that refuses to die.