New here

New Member Introductions
sting75ray

New here

Post by sting75ray »

Looks like a great place to be. I have 2 81s. One in 35 Rem and the other in 300 Sav. I have had the 35 for quite some time and got the 300 Sav in December after my dad passed away. He had a 35 Rem, 30 Rem, and the 300 Sav. that I now have. I gave the other 35 and the 30 Rem to my sister after we lost Dad.
imfuncity

Re: New here

Post by imfuncity »

Not the best way to get them but... welcome, look forward the pictures and sharing info.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

sting75ray,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got a nice set of rifles. Have you done much hunting with the 8 or 81?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sting75ray

Post by sting75ray »

81police wrote:sting75ray,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got a nice set of rifles. Have you done much hunting with the 8 or 81?
I have not hunted with either of the rifles. I shot the 35 a few times years ago when I first got it and have not shot the 300 as of yet. The 35 and 300 that I have along with the 30 Rem that I gave my sister were all in my uncles collection when he passed away. Dad bought the 300 and 30 from the estate and another uncle bought the 35. Years later my Grandfather bought the 35 back and gave it to me when I was about 15 or so. Dad always tried to talk me out of it so he could have all 3 calibers. About 10 years ago a good friend of mine had a 35 for sale and needed the money so I bought it from him for 250.00 and gave it to Dad. I doubt that I ever shoot either one of them very much. I have twin daughters that like to deer hunt now and enjoy watching them more than hunting myself.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I have twin daughters that like to deer hunt now and enjoy watching them more than hunting myself.

Click - LIKE! Solves the recoil issue!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Welcome Friend,

Good to have you on board. You are on the way to getting a good collection. So many of us have obtained our rifles through sales as opposed to getting them from family. I really think it is neat to have guns with a family history.

If you haven't been asked yet, we would like to see some pictures. Also,if you have questions there is a wealth of information and there is no shortage of expert opinions from the members. Jump right in with your questions and brace yourself.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

jack1653 wrote: and brace yourself.
haha :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
tx81

Post by tx81 »

Welcome to the forum!!!

I have a Model 81 in .300 Savage myself. Got a Limbsaver recoil pad last season after trying to zero in the scope that I put on it. Took almost an entire box of shells to get the zero where I wanted it, but eventually I got it zeroed. The Limbsaver was a life saver - no, make that, shoulder saver. :D

Anyways, welcome from the great state of Texas!!
sting75ray

Post by sting75ray »

jack1653 wrote:Welcome Friend,

Good to have you on board. You are on the way to getting a good collection. So many of us have obtained our rifles through sales as opposed to getting them from family. I really think it is neat to have guns with a family history.

If you haven't been asked yet, we would like to see some pictures. Also,if you have questions there is a wealth of information and there is no shortage of expert opinions from the members. Jump right in with your questions and brace yourself.

Regards,

jack1653

Here is the pic of my 81s. Sorry for the poor quality pics, our scanner is getting old. The 300 is on top with my old 35 under it.

jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

That is a nice looking pair of rifles. The bluing looks to be in good condiion. Now all you have to do is start adding a few more to keep the pair company.

jack1653
sting75ray

Post by sting75ray »

jack1653 wrote:That is a nice looking pair of rifles. The bluing looks to be in good condiion. Now all you have to do is start adding a few more to keep the pair company.

jack1653

The bluing on both rifles is in great shape but the wood on the 35 is a liittle rough. I would like to add some more 81s to my collection but need to get another safe before I buy any more. I still need 2 more Winchester Model 12s to complete my even dozen.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks for sharing them, they do look nice - for a start... but watch out for Jackitus. ;)