At least two types of rough chambers

New Member Introductions
Behemotosh

At least two types of rough chambers

Post by Behemotosh »

I haven't been on the board for some time. When I was on last, about December? of 2010, there was an issue of rough chamber that caused the case to seize.

My favorite smithy says there are two types, generally. One is caused by a rough chamber reamer or chip that was pulled up by a chamber reamer. This is a concentric ring around the axis of the chamber. Later remingtons had a problem of this type, especially the .280 Remington. I can vouch for that as I have a very early Model 740 that had to be "touched up" to get it smooth enough to not seize. I know of one other that had a similar problem. It could have been the nature of the beast.

Another type is a rough spot, usually a rust pit or metal inclusion that causes the case to seize. I can vouch for this also. I have a "humpy" serial 25,xxx that was in a flooded cabin. My father cleaned it well, but did not get the rust in the chamber. It sat with a rusty chamber from 1972 until 2009. As a result, it may never shoot twice. My smithy and I will test it sometime this year. It still needs to be blued and assembled. I do not know of any persistent problem of concentric chip problems with the older Remingtons. I have never seen a rough spot in another one either, although I was only around about 8 of them.

I hope this helps if anyone is still having case seising problems.

Shoot Straight!
Behemotosh