Introduction

New Member Introductions
ctgodog

Introduction

Post by ctgodog »

I would like introduce my self....I am Clint, and I wrote a couple paragraphs about my story with these rifles, but it must have timed out, because I don't see it anywhere. So, here is the short version.... I own two Model 8's, serial #'s 2522 and 22470. I will tell the stories behind these two rifles at a later date.

I am so excited to find this forum, as I have been a fan of these rifles for most of my 66 years.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Wildgoose

Re: Introduction

Post by Wildgoose »

Hello, glad you found the site. I am a newcomer as well and am looking forward to hearing about your rifles. 8-)
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Clint,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you found it and I know you will enjoy the site. We have a lot of good guys here with a wealth of information. I think I was 66 when I found the site and it is a daily part of my life. Be prepared to become more addicted to these fine rifles.

I will look forward to reading the stories about your rifles. If you can post some pictures, you will be very popular.

Good Luck,

jack1653
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

My story....

My first experience with the 8 .30 Rem was when I was 16 years old and my Dad gave me his when he bought a new Rem 30.06 Auto. I killed my first buck mule deer with it in eastern Oregon when I was 18 years old. While I was in the US Army flying helicopters in Vietnam, my Dad traded the 30 Rem in on a Browning 243 Bar. When I found out, I was not happy, but it was really his to do with what he wanted. So I followed suit and bought my own Browning 243 BAR, and have hunted with it ever since.

My Grandfather also had a 8 .30 Rem that he hunted with most of his life. He wouldn't part with it. He used it so much that he wore off all the bluing...it looked like stainless steal! No Rust! After he passed away my Dad used that rifle to take his first buck every year, 30 years, to honor his Dad's love of the rifle. He however didn't like the sun glaring off the shinny metal, so he painted it flat black. NOW HOLD ON...he was the type of person that didn't like anything shinny or new...he even painted his vehicle flat black. So don't scorn him for this preference. Whatever worked for him, is what he did. He was the family leader to all the hunters in our family... his sisters, daughters, son (me), in-laws, nephews, cousins,...everyone looked up to him, because he could out hunt any one in the family. Hunting was his life love. He was the best that I have ever witnessed. Even his Dad listened and looked up to him, as they were like peas in a pod.

Enough history...two of my uncles also hunted with 35 Rem's. So we had a few of them in the family. Long story short... when my father passed away I inherited my Grandfather's 30 Rem., Serial #22470. It has 25 Rem stamped on the receiver, but somewhere along the way was converted to 30 Rem. My father was blinded by immacullar degeneration the last 2-3 years of his life, and would sit and tear down the 30 Rem like he was taught in the Army to do blindfolded, and then put it back together again. One day he couldn't get the forearm back on right and got mad and threw it in the fireplace. It half burned before my sister rescued it, and saved it for me. He obviously didn't get the bolt back in properly, as it hits against the receiver, and doesn't close all the way. Not a big deal, just have to take it apart and do it right.

So, a few years ago, I went to my local gun shop to see if I could get a replacement forearm. There IT was, another Model 8 30 Rem., serial # 2522. I bought it on the spot for $350! Ordered the replacement forearm, and when it arrived it was thicker than the original, and the screw wouldn't reach to the barrel. So I have since decided that it must be from an 81.

This is how I acquired my two model 8 .30 Rem, and my history with them. I will buy every one that I can find from this point on. Mr. Browning designed on of the best.

Clint
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Cool story. Love the black paint! :lol: Bet that will come off but then again... it will remind you of your Dad and the story.

I read about a guide who had an old gun with a lot of "character stories" or souvenir marks. A grateful regular client swapped guns with him for awhile but really it was to send off the old guides gun to have it beautifully refinished in appreciation... the gun lost all it's special-ness.

Enjoy 'em and those about to join 'em.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Great to have ya Clint! thanks for the stories!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

I was going to post some pictures of my Grandfather's 30 REM, but it is obviously more difficult than I can figure out.

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to accomplish this?

Clint
81police

Post by 81police »

Clint,

The way I do it is to upload the pictures from a 3rd party website like photobucket (it's free). Then once you do that you copy the "IMG CODE" and paste it in your post. It may sound like a lot but it's really very easy. If you have difficulty feel free to email me the pictures and I'll post them for you.

cat9x@hotmail.com
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

An alternative, use this forum itself. I have emailed you my how-to. Although it is not difficult it is rather cumbersome and much more complicated to explain then it is to do! But once understood not an issue. Hope it helps.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

I have the pictures in photo bucket, but I still couldn't figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Clint
81police

Post by 81police »

Clint if you are in photobucket click on the photo you would like to post, there is a box that says "share this photo". In that box are a bunch of codes, "email & IM", "direct link", "HTML code", and "IMG code". If you simply left click the "IMG code" photobucket will automatically save that code. Then open your post on this website and either right click and select "paste" or simply hold down the Control button and press "V". This will paste your copied picture code into the post. Simple as that. You can add as many IMG codes as you like.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator