New TX Model 81 Member

New Member Introductions
tx81

New TX Model 81 Member

Post by tx81 »

Hi,

My name is Randy and I am new to the Model 8/81 Forum.

I inherited my model 81 several years ago. The Nov 49 model (.300 Savage) went to my uncle after my grandfather passed away, mainly due to the fact that I was in the Army and too many things 'disappeared' during military moves. Looking back, I see that decision to be a wise one.

I have several rifles, most newer, a couple older than the model 81, so this year was the first year that I seriously hunted with it. I now know why the model 81 was one of my grandfather's deer hunting rifles. In fact, one of the results is pictured in the "Hunting" section of this forum website.

While zeroing the 'original' Weaver 4x scope, I discovered the .300 Savage had more than just a little bit of recoil. That led me to add a slip-on Limb Saver recoil pad and that's the only addition I have made to the rifle's appearance. I do have one question - can any recommend a product and method for touching up the original bluing? There are a couple of spots on the 81's receiver that I would like to get taken care of before things get any worse. In the mean time, I do try to keep the receiver clean and oiled to reduce the effects of weather and other conditions.
DWalt

Re: New TX Model 81 Member

Post by DWalt »

By "Spots" do you mean places where the bluing has worn or are there spots of rust? If rust, I'd recommend rubbing those spots with a cloth wet with light oil or Hoppe's #9 to remove most of it, then leave it alone. Otherwise, you will make it worse. You might also try using an abrasive rubber ink eraser carefully. If the bluing's worn in spots, there are a lots of cold bluing brands out there, and all seem to be more or less equal in effectiveness. I use Birchwood Casey. Follow label directions. Or you could just not use cold bluing and leave it alone. Cold bluing coverage doesn't last long under use, if it's handled a lot.
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm with Dwalt on the advice.
I discovered the .300 Savage had more than just a little bit of recoil.
HAHA, just enough to keep your attention :D

Welcome to the forum!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Randy,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy the forum.

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Randy,
Your post inspired me to post a rust problem I had (have, always on going) viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1360
If you have rust maybe this will help. It is likely that my gunsmiths friends advice would have been regarding patchy or spotty bluing "leave it alone or redo the entire gun" - very difficult to do touch-up bluing and make it look right.

My first one was the 300sav, Wally World's slip on recoil pad saved my shoulder also. Personally it seems to me that the 35 recoils less but I still use the pad.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome .I see that you have received some advice re touch up bluing. I tend to disagree with the assessment that "all" cold bluing is pretty much the same.There is one stand out amonst the brands offered and it is Oxpho sold by Brownell`s. I use the creme formula and as with most products it is not the product but the method of application that counts. From what I could see in the photograph of your rifle it appears that you have some thinning spots rather than a rust problem.The area under the receiver in front of the magazine looks like it is thin possibly from being carried. The method I use with Oxpho is to clean the spot with degreaser though Oxpho unlike others will penetrate through an oil film but I degrease anyway. Next step is to warm the spot with a torch but not too hot.Apply the Oxpho with a balled up piece of 0000 steel wool.After application has set for a minute or so apply some more and rub it in with the steel wool.Allow to work for another minute or so but don`t let it dry out.If it starts to apply more Oxpho.Wipe it off with a clean cloth or paper towel and then burnish with a clean ball of 0000 steel wool.You can repeat these steps till it matches the original bluing but use a light touch on succesive applications. Hope this will help. I also have a 81 in 300Sav .Yes it does kick a bit but well worth it to have one of the best deer kiiling rounds ever made. I load 180Gr Speer flatpoints in my 35`s and they give close to the same performance as the 300Sav.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."