New Member and My First Model 8 1924 .35

New Member Introductions
ironwood8959

New Member and My First Model 8 1924 .35

Post by ironwood8959 »

Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am here because I bought my first Model 8 yesterday.

I am a collector and big fan of John Moses Browning designs. I currently have 1911's, Browning Hi Powers (FN's, Inglis WWII vintage), Winchester 1892 (circa 1902), a Fabrique Nationale Model 1922, well you get the picture.

To make a long story even longer, I walked into a gun shop yesterday and went straight to the Wall O' Rifles. The first thing I picked up was this Remington Model 8. I fell in love immediately! Mechanically excellent and a beautiful bore that has great rifling. I was afraid to look at the price tag because I had a feeling I would have to put her right back on the rack. This shop generally has very high prices (for example around $300 for a Mosin Nagant 91/30) so I held out little hope I would be taking her home. I slowly turned the tag over and to my surprise it was marked $249.00! I brought her home without hesitation... Now, suffice it to say I am not an expert on Model 8's but I thought this to be a fair if not somewhat low price. Maybe those more familiar with these great pieces can offer me their opinions as to the value of this one.

I am including a couple of pictures just as I found her. Serial number 50378, barrel marked "C R". Please let me know your opinions of my new Model 8 and whether or not this was a fair price. Not that it really matters, she's a keeper!

Thanks all and it is great to be here.
“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” -John Wayne-
jack1653

Re: New Member and My First Model 8 1924 .35

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Ironwood,

Welcome to the forum. Good to have another John Browning fan.

I would say you did very well with this purchase. Price is always subjective and if it is something you wanted then the price is right. Certainly anything under $300 is a bargain particularly if it is in decent conditon and not beat all to heck. The barrel code of CR indeed is a 1924 manufacture, but the serial number says it was issued in 1925. This is an issue that several of us are trying to figure out.

It appears that you may be missing part of the tang sight. Provide the model and someone here will direct you to a place to find the missing piece.

Thanks for the pictures. If you get the bug as bad as some of the rest of us, this may be the first of several purchases.

Regards,

jack1653
ironwood8959

Post by ironwood8959 »

Thanks jack1653. The tang sight is a Marble and the upright is broken. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” -John Wayne-
J. Riekers

Post by J. Riekers »

Welcome! I'm new here too. There is a lot of good information going around. Enjoy!
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
81police

Post by 81police »

are you kidding?! That's a great price, even if it was a parts gun.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a super find. The gun looks all original to me.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator