New Member Introductions
Crazy8

Post by Crazy8 »

Hi, I just purchased one model 8 in 35 Rem, and two model 81's one in 35 Rem & 300 Sav. I always wanted one because when I was young my father had an 81 in 300 sav and that was the only deer rifle he had. He passed away in 1970 when I was 14 years old. I am having a very hard time with the 300 Sav getting it to sight in with the side mount scope, any suggestions?

Regards: Crazy8
Last edited by Crazy8 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildgoose

Re: New Member

Post by Wildgoose »

Hello and welcom Crazy8. I am a newbie here myself and had a few questions on the side mount scopes for these rifles too. My first Model 81 came with a slightly damaged mount and rings but no scope. I recieved some very good information and I am sure you will too. I am waiting on a new mount set I found here on the list to arrive as the base plate that came on my rifle had a stripped hole on it. Iam on the hunt for a good vintage scope. I will be interested in how things go for you and please keep us posted on your progress in getting on with the 300 Savage.
imfuncity

Re: New Member

Post by imfuncity »

Crazy8,
Got some with scopes (plus a few extra scopes that I could try) either they were already set right when I got them or I just lucked out - mine seem to sight in fine.

This may sound silly but since these rifles often needed the scope to be cocked (to get parts out of the way of ejecting brass) could that be part of your problem? I could use some quality time with my 8s or 81s (any excuse will do ;) ) let me know what kind of issues you are having maybe I can duplicate and help with a fix.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine