Model 10 Barrel adjustment bushing removal tool?

Other great Remington rifles
Adam Lee

Model 10 Barrel adjustment bushing removal tool?

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I've been keeping my Model 10 Remington on the far back burner with it being stripped down to a nice pile of parts in the "tool shed", so to speak. The major issue for the shotgun is its barrel adjustment bushing - I believe that's the right name - which is a critical part for Model 10's/29's/31's. If you've owned or messed around with any of these, you'll know what I mean.

Also, I picked up a cheap 4-pack of used 10 and 29 receivers at some point, 3 are totally stripped minus the adjustment bushing 1 still has it in place. Now, for reference, here's a current Gunbroker listing for one of the bushings so you know what they look like:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/606215520

I'm hunting down the correct bushing removal/installation tool that would properly mate up with the index slots (that's what I am calling them) to replace or install the bushing in my receivers. I bet they might look like a Model 8 barrel bushing tool, but I have no idea. I'm not in connection with a machinist any more that I know has the capability of making one either.

That's all, just looking for some ideas here. Maybe someone's got knowledge of the correct tool, or a direction I might go in my quest.

Thanks guys!
Adam

PS.....2 days till Winter Break for me....yes! Away from my 4th graders for 2 weeks!!!! :D :D :D :D
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Re: Model 10 Barrel adjustment bushing removal tool?

Post by Adam Lee »

Well, I'm no rocket scientist and certainly not a machinist - but I bet I can figure out a way to make or modify something to act as a removal tool to get the adjustment bushings out of my Model 10 receivers.

Once I figure it out, I'll get back and report on my progress. Hope it's not in two years - but a little quicker! :lol:

Take care and happy holidays

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Just repeating my query - has anyone even seen or heard of a tool that will unthread a Model 10 shotgun barrel adjuster bushing? I bet they look like a choke tool.

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Hi guys - just a bump on my old post!
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam,
Numrich has the bushing, lock, & lock screws. You might also try some of their choke tube spanners. I found some are useful for hook type spanner needs. Getting just the right one can be hit or miss; dimensions on the site are sadly missing. Buy one, if it don't fit, get a different one. As for a slotted bushing in a hole, that's another bird entirely....
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Carl,

thank you for offering your thoughts and ideas on my Model 10 project question. I will try and follow up with your recommendations, and once I get back into the old gun I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks.
Adam