Important Safety Tip for model 14

Other great Remington rifles
Bandersnatch

Important Safety Tip for model 14

Post by Bandersnatch »

I had built some loads for my trusty model 8 in .25. I used the Hornady 117 gr Spitzer bullet, which functioned excellently and grouped pretty well, and so, figured I, these ought to work in the model 14 I just picked up from Gunbroker. Imagine, if you will, my chagrin when not the first one would feed from the magazine reliably. One did, but the rest did not. Upon inspection it seems the slightly longer and pointyer noses on the bullets were getting hung under the feed mechanism (not sure of the exact lingo for that part) and one round got stuck in the magazine.

Just ordered the round nose bullets after an hour of tinkering and cussing...
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Adam Lee

Re: Important Safety Tip for model 14

Post by Adam Lee »

Bandersnatch wrote:I had built some loads for my trusty model 8 in .25. I used the Hornady 117 gr Spitzer bullet, which functioned excellently and grouped pretty well, and so, figured I, these ought to work in the model 14 I just picked up from Gunbroker. Imagine, if you will, my chagrin when not the first one would feed from the magazine reliably. One did, but the rest did not. Upon inspection it seems the slightly longer and pointyer noses on the bullets were getting hung under the feed mechanism (not sure of the exact lingo for that part) and one round got stuck in the magazine.

Just ordered the round nose bullets after an hour of tinkering and cussing...
This is exactly what happened for my Model 14, when I attempted to run flat-nose .32 instead of round-nose ammo. Some folks can get a variety of bullet profiles to feed in their 14's and 141's they say, so long as the bullets are deeply seated. At the local WMA I got a round so jammed-up in my 14 I had to completely take it apart just so the cartridge would come free from the gun.
Others, such as myself with limited experience in the Model 14, don't have guns that reliably feed anything other than round nose.

Thanks for your observations - and have fun with your gun!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.