P proof marks without flaming bomb stamps Rem 11/Savage 720

Other great Remington rifles
Adam Lee

P proof marks without flaming bomb stamps Rem 11/Savage 720

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys -

This is a Remington 11 and Savage 720 shotgun question. Who knows what the P proofed 720's and 11's indicate, if they do not have the flaming bomb ordnance acceptance stamp?

I surfed a bit, and one idea seems to be that the P standing alone is indicative of US military "procurement", but not issuance. Does any military shotgun nut here on the forums have any input on this question?
I'm looking at a 720 Savage, with P stamps on receiver and barrel, without ordnance bombs. The receiver is the "fake engraved" type that Savage offered. Serial range is something I am not sure about, but IIRC it is early enough to be pre-war or wartime, based on extrapolation.

Thanks!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Roger

Re: P proof marks without flaming bomb stamps Rem 11/Savage

Post by Roger »

Hey Adam,
Unfortunately my opinion would be that Jerry (sighthound) would have known the answer to this question. I only wish he we're still around to answer it. Sorry if I sound like an idiot,but I miss his input and posts here on this forum.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Roger wrote:Hey Adam,
Unfortunately my opinion would be that Jerry (sighthound) would have known the answer to this question. I only wish he we're still around to answer it. Sorry if I sound like an idiot,but I miss his input and posts here on this forum.
Roger
Nope, you got it right, Roger.

Just a short time ago, Jerry had some good insight into a few 720 Savage questions I had. He knew everything about 11's and 720's - amongst everything else! He was (is still) a great guy.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Just checking back in while I have a moment - anyone with any knowledge of the wartime P proof markings WITHOUT flaming bomb ordnance markings, please chime in.

In my short time researching wartime issued shotguns (WW2) I have seen mixed manufacturers of shotguns with both stamps, but so far only once have I noted an early 40's Savage 720 with barrel and receiver stamped with P proofs ONLY.

I will upload and link some example photos once I locate them again - too dang preoccupied with my students right now!!

Take care 'yall
Adam