My first Custom rifle is done!

Other great Remington rifles
Headoftheholler

My first Custom rifle is done!

Post by Headoftheholler »

Almost 6 months to the day we are done! Just a recap, started as a Swedish carbine (16.5" barrel in 6.5x55) that I restocked in a full length Mannlicher style stock. I am an obsessive oddball gun parts hoarder and a lot of them went into this project. Not everyone will like the looks of this rifle, I am ok with that, I built it the way I see fit. Front the back end, I fit a figured walnut buttplate from a Beretta shotgun, added two nice buttplate screws that I nitre blued. The stock was stripped down to bare bones, the grain completely filled and finished with Minwax Antique oil finish that dries exceptionally hard. The stock was hand checkered by a good friend in PA that did an outstanding job. A local engraver/tattoo artist engraved the floorplate and grip cap (off an old Browning) in scrollwork. Initially the rifle was setup for a peep sight & a scope, it looked cluttered, both having their merits on their own but to me looked bad together. I filled the peep sight holes and soldered on a old steel rear sight from an early Remington 700. The front ramp is an old one from Lyman, I added a hood that I nitre blued as well. The remainder of the metal was rust blued by me. The scope is a vintage steel tube Weaver 4x with the post "german style" reticle. The rear sling post is a custom piece from NECG as is the mannlicher style front sling band. Most full length stocks will have a metal nosepiece on the end of the barrel, I removed it and hand fit an antler crown from a shed I found last year, a feature that you don't see often, if ever , but not new as many rifles were fitted with antler nose caps many years ago in Austria. The bolt handle was modified and threaded for a figured walnut ball handle that matches the stock nicely. Overall it weighs in at 6.2 pounds which is phenomenal for mountain hunting. Feel free to comment.
Phyrbird

Re: My first Custom rifle is done!

Post by Phyrbird »

OOOOO :!: :!: Pretty :!: :!:

There you go again, now I gotta wash my keyboard out with distilled water again. :oops:

DROOL SLOBBER
Phyrbird
SOKY
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Outstanding! Again. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Just Exactly....... WHAT IS THERE NOT TO LIKE ? Outstanding job !!! You are of the shiny finish school and that is ok with me with this rifle. You`ve given me some thoughts on a couple of my projects .
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Sweet final result, Andrew - well done! Hope you take 'er out for a hunt, and show us what she can do!
Very cool, love the details and extras.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Headoftheholler

Post by Headoftheholler »

Thank you all for the kind words. The rifle has a lot of unique features.
Got started on a new project rifle today. This one is based on a super slick BRNO vz24 action, rebarreled to 30-06. The stock is a nice dark piece of black walnut, the shadowline cheekpiece has already been carved, fit a Silvers London pad with plugs today and fit my first ebony tip the last few days, which I might add was a bear using only hand tools. Not settled on stock finish yet, maybe a poly cut down to satin with rottenstone or BLO or tung oil finish.
Johnnelson

Post by Johnnelson »

Wow what a nice rifle looks this weapon is in good condition,, the weapon is very shine and its like a brand new,,
and how much the cost each one of this weapon sir, i am interested for this weapons.

Last edited by Johnnelson on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I am not a fan of any military weapon being anything but original condition but that is certainly an attractive rifle. My compliments.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Holy smokes! That is one pretty rifle. I'd be afraid to take it into the woods.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Bandersnatch wrote:Holy smokes! That is one pretty rifle. I'd be afraid to take it into the woods.
Oh yes, there's also that. I have fallen in the woods hard enough to break scopes and I expect I'm not the only one in history to have done that. Any weapon taken into combat or the woods is bound to get a few scratches.....that weapon there is a literally a "work of art" and I would be fearful of damaging such.