Going old School this Deer Season Pics

Other great Remington rifles
Headoftheholler

Going old School this Deer Season Pics

Post by Headoftheholler »

Haven't had much spare time this year so no cams out or corn, only one short scouting trip. Where I will be hunting , if I get time to go, 75 yards is max shot.
Going old school rifle this year, 120 years old to be exact. Finally got to shoot the german guild rifle in 257 Roberts. I believe it to be an older conversion as the newer style spitzers hang on the feed ramp but Rem. Corelockts softpoints feed like silk. Rifle has folding express style iron sights only, I set up in a folding chair and a cheap shooting stick at 70 yards today, all 10 shots held relatively tight for iron sights at that distance, now if I can only find time and deer together at the same time.
Phyrbird

Re: Going old School this Deer Season Pics

Post by Phyrbird »

Nice rainbow in the stock, I like the sight band on the Barrel. very classic
May the bucks look on you with fortune.

Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Nice. I envy the hunters with the authentic period pieces - I'm going to be there at some point in my life.

Darn job, commitments, debts to the Man keep getting in my way....
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Headoftheholler

Adam Lee wrote:Nice. I envy the hunters with the authentic period pieces - I'm going to be there at some point in my life.

Darn job, commitments, debts to the Man keep getting in my way....
Keep your eyes peeled, not to inflate my own ego, but I think I have an eye for classic looking firearms, but I am also very cheap. If not mistaken I sold some extra gun parts on ebay that I didnt have a dime in and bought this rifle with that money (free gun) online.
I am working on a wingmaster that I have actual negative money into, I bought it for $300, it had a $350 hastings barrel on it and really nice walnut stock/forearm. I sold the 34" barrel and stock set online , bought a 20" barrel with remchokes and a walnut police stock set, I figure all said and done I'm into it -$30 or so.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

I hear you on the method - I do the same thing. Nice when the net sum is a balance - you did great with this one! Nice 1888.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Alright, so now you got me on a tangent digging into wildcats and lesser-known "neo-wildcats" - was reading in the other Remington forums about the proto-700 Remingtons chambered in .257 Roberts. Apparently, off-the-shelf ammo is somewhat available in that chambering, but is currently in +P pressure loadings only.

Anyhow - once again, a healthy gun-guy distraction from the everyday work crap.

Adam
Headoftheholler

Remington still makes non +P in 257 in their corelockt, its a RN bullet and chambers like silk , the spitzers always hang, have been wondering if I could mess with the feed ramp to facillitate loading the spitzers. I own no safe queens, all my rifles get used, that is precisely what has me borderline ready to sell my Model 8, I cant find any 30 rem to feed it.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Headoftheholler wrote:Remington still makes non +P in 257 in their corelockt, its a RN bullet and chambers like silk , the spitzers always hang, have been wondering if I could mess with the feed ramp to facilitate loading the spitzers. I own no safe queens, all my rifles get used, that is precisely what has me borderline ready to sell my Model 8, I cant find any 30 rem to feed it.
Well, Andrew, don't get rid of the 8, since you haven't gotten into reloading with the 30 Remington and apparently (from what I've read ONLY since my 8 is a 35 Remington) it is a "given" that rolling yer own is about the only way to keep that particular round in stock.

I may be telling you something you already know, that the .30 Rem is pretty much a reload/roll yer own round only, but I bet you'll one day get into doing that for yourself. I know I'm looking forward to gathering up my own loading bench setup when we move to another home a few (or more) years from now, when my wife and I have both met the minimum time in with our school district so we keep our retirement with the county, and can move to teach in a different area.

For me, the limiting factor has always been the physical space I need for a workbench and small workshop. This is for several of my "vocations" - fixing small mechanical things for the home, car, as well as guns. Another workshop favorite that I always have somehow adapted to whatever home environment I find myself in is setting up a table area for my plastic model hobby work. If I couldn't build or tinker with the model kits I make, I'd like to go crazy!

So, the point I'm making is this: don't give up on that Model 8 just yet. Soon as you do, man, then it's never coming back, and you'll regret it for sure. Especially if it's only the ammo holding you back. I believe that you are probably a younger guy (I know you made mention of having a new baby so that's my guess) and even though I'm not as old as some around here, I can tell you I've lived long enough to have plenty memories of guns I wished I had never traded/sold off that I had really put some personal investment in.

Anyways, after all that long-winded ramble, thanks for informing me on the .257 Roberts rounds. So, the issue is that the 1888 chamber doesn't allow spitzer bullets to feed - and they are available in a "non" plus P - OK, got it! I also had read that the .257+P was not "really" hugely different from the regular SAAMI specs; but that due to older actions (your 1888 falls into that category) the current manufacturers and their lawyers don't endorse using the +P.

I don't know much about the 1888 Commission rifles, in terms of max pressures. Just don't go hurtin' yourself out there! And if you lived in my neck of the woods - yes, right here in Northern Virginia, way too close to the Federal Gub'ment, you would not believe the deer population. Amazingly under-hunted, and over-populated. I GOTS to get me into local deer hunting!

take care
Adam
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
I must second what Adam has just so aptly put. My gun collecting/shooting/hunting history is struen with guns lost that i wish i had back. Usually I sold them because I truly need ed the money.All part of the world of a self employed remodeling contractor.But some were traded or sold just because I thought I wanted something else worse. Think it thru carefully. Because ultimately, it's your decision. If you do decide to sell your model 8 ,please let us know here on this forum. I'm sure some one,me included, will be glad to give it a good home. My Rem 8/81 s are constantly clamoring for new roommates. It becomes quite annoying at times.
Thanks for your time ,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

What is this 1888 rifle?
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

I've probably seen 12-15 original boxes (no reloads) of .30 Remington over the past four or five months in my little
corner of the world. Seems to run $40 or so. Is that too much? Probably be a lot in Tulsa this weekend.
Headoftheholler

jim8008 wrote:What is this 1888 rifle?
Yes sir, it is based on a KAR 88, same as the GEW 88 but the carbine version.
Headoftheholler

Adam Lee wrote:
Headoftheholler wrote:Remington still makes non +P in 257 in their corelockt, its a RN bullet and chambers like silk , the spitzers always hang, have been wondering if I could mess with the feed ramp to facilitate loading the spitzers. I own no safe queens, all my rifles get used, that is precisely what has me borderline ready to sell my Model 8, I cant find any 30 rem to feed it.
Well, Andrew, don't get rid of the 8, since you haven't gotten into reloading with the 30 Remington and apparently (from what I've read ONLY since my 8 is a 35 Remington) it is a "given" that rolling yer own is about the only way to keep that particular round in stock.

I may be telling you something you already know, that the .30 Rem is pretty much a reload/roll yer own round only, but I bet you'll one day get into doing that for yourself. I know I'm looking forward to gathering up my own loading bench setup when we move to another home a few (or more) years from now, when my wife and I have both met the minimum time in with our school district so we keep our retirement with the county, and can move to teach in a different area.

For me, the limiting factor has always been the physical space I need for a workbench and small workshop. This is for several of my "vocations" - fixing small mechanical things for the home, car, as well as guns. Another workshop favorite that I always have somehow adapted to whatever home environment I find myself in is setting up a table area for my plastic model hobby work. If I couldn't build or tinker with the model kits I make, I'd like to go crazy!

So, the point I'm making is this: don't give up on that Model 8 just yet. Soon as you do, man, then it's never coming back, and you'll regret it for sure. Especially if it's only the ammo holding you back. I believe that you are probably a younger guy (I know you made mention of having a new baby so that's my guess) and even though I'm not as old as some around here, I can tell you I've lived long enough to have plenty memories of guns I wished I had never traded/sold off that I had really put some personal investment in.

Anyways, after all that long-winded ramble, thanks for informing me on the .257 Roberts rounds. So, the issue is that the 1888 chamber doesn't allow spitzer bullets to feed - and they are available in a "non" plus P - OK, got it! I also had read that the .257+P was not "really" hugely different from the regular SAAMI specs; but that due to older actions (your 1888 falls into that category) the current manufacturers and their lawyers don't endorse using the +P.

I don't know much about the 1888 Commission rifles, in terms of max pressures. Just don't go hurtin' yourself out there! And if you lived in my neck of the woods - yes, right here in Northern Virginia, way too close to the Federal Gub'ment, you would not believe the deer population. Amazingly under-hunted, and over-populated. I GOTS to get me into local deer hunting!

take care
Adam
Theres only 4000 PSI difference between P and +P 257 bob, the chamber is fine , the problem is mine loads from that packet style clip, when the bolt picks up the round headed toward the chamber the spitzers hang on the loading/feeding ramp, whereas the RN glide right in, I have considered reshaping the feeding ramp to facilitate the spitzers.
As for the model 8 right now its just a minor headache not being able to shoot it, most likely I will hang onto it until I can find a model 8 or 81 in 35 rem to trade to. You would think of all the oddball rifle cartridges I shoot (6.5x55, 8mm mauser, 7mm mauser, 7.5 swiss, and 257 Rbts) I would reload but I dont. Maybe later on though
Headoftheholler

Good start to the season, the 257 dropped this forkhorn in his tracks this morning, 40 yard shot.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

That's a great way to start off the hunting season! 40 yards - with the .257, I'd imagine it sure did stop that guy right in his tracks!

My wife was walking up the wooded hill behind the school she works at here the other morning, and crossed paths with what she claimed was an 8-point buck. Now bear in mind we live in a pretty well-populated area, but we still have plenty of territory for deer to roam.

Also, that neighborhood she works in does have a seasonal "cull" of deer - she was surprised to see an older male after the cull. Not sure what the county focuses on in those hunts - I believe they are limited to bow only because of the location.

Anyway, good job and nice to have some meat in your freezer!

Adam