Project "Big Bore" Remington model 1889 10 Gauge

Other great Remington rifles
Headoftheholler

Project "Big Bore" Remington model 1889 10 Gauge

Post by Headoftheholler »

Snapped a few quick pics prior to starting the project, between a new promotion at work and a newborn, free time is hard to find. This will be a long term project, my friend's uncle has requested stock repairs and a gloss finish + a rust blue, already have the replacement buttplate on hand, but it needs some trimming.
Weighs in at nearly 10 pounds (!) I have nothing but respect for the ole timers that humped something like this up into these mountains.
Headoftheholler

Re: Project "Big Bore" Remington model 1889 10 Gauge

The incredible hand fitted mech's inside the side plates.
Headoftheholler

Stock is stripped, its amazing how much dirt and grime 100+ years build up on a gun stock, note the major crack on both sides, 3 ton clear epoxy will be used to reseal any damage.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

10# !!! :shock: :o That cannon needs wheels!!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Headoftheholler

imfuncity wrote:10# !!! :shock: :o That cannon needs wheels!!
Especially here in these mountains, my go to whitetail rifle is a custom swede sporter with 16" barrel, very accurate but more importantly very very light.
Headoftheholler

UPDATE
Stock and forearm are finished, barrels got blued today along with the dozens of smalls, hopefully final assembly on Tuesday.
Barrels Before:

Barrels After:

Finished Stock:
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Nice Work :!: :!:

Just when I thought I was recovering, you show me another one of those stocks. Looking at them you wonder which way the grain runss; :) AAARRRRGGGHHH :x :roll:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Headoftheholler

Sneak peek of the finished project, original finish on the receiver was case hardening, cost to recase was in excess of $300, the owner decided to just keep the receiver and side plates in the white, sealed to prevent corrosion with the hammers and topsnap rust blued with fire blued screws.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

you sure have some good guns to practice with man!

When leaving metal "in the white", you mention sealing that with something. What do you use? In my case, with my 1800 era flintlock for example, I just oil it up every once in a while.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Headoftheholler

My personal guns all get a good coat of Johnson paste wax once a year. Waxing firearms as corrosion resistance goes back a really long time (beeswax), and IMO it will seal out mouisture better than any gun oil. As this was not my personal shotgun (I cant control if he chooses to care for the bare metal) I sealed it with Truoil, a tip I picked up on years ago.