Not a Remington, but interesting old rifle

Other great Remington rifles
Headoftheholler

Not a Remington, but interesting old rifle

Post by Headoftheholler »

I have a quirky taste in firearms, always drifting towards the older, better made, blued steel and walnut.
This one is no different.
What we have is what is commonly referred to as a "Guild Gun" from Germany. Guild guns were built by several masters of the various
firearms arts, bluing, woodwork, ect that all prepared seperate pieces that were assembled to form a rifle. Usually telltale signs of a guild
gun are the nice but functional checkering patterns, "butterknife" style bolt handles, dropped cheekpiece, and sometimes dual set triggers.
This rifle started life in 1894 in Efurt germany as a model 88 Commision rifle carbine, most likely post WWI it was converted as so many others
were from tools of war into tools for the field, sold to other countries sportsmen as private ownership of firearms was verbooten till 1956 in Germany.
The 88 rifle used many Mannlicher rifle traits, it uses a split bridge reciever, and a packet style clip to charge the magazine.
This rifle was rebarreled to .257 Roberts, a caliber I've been lusting after for a bit, witha 20 inch barrel and a nice walnut stock.
As for restoration, all this one needs is a few smalls reblued and the stock will be stripped and redone in an oil finish (there is nice tiger striping hiding)
Hope you enjoy.

Sarge756

Re: Not a Remington, but interesting old rifle

Post by Sarge756 »

Very nice Adam. Custom Mausers as Mitch will attest are my biggest weakness. I am always just one short of the one that will stop the search. Yours is a bonus with it being a 257 Bob.When I acquired my first Bob I kept asking myself "where in the world this great round had been hiding all those years ?". A pleasure to shoot with soft recoil and boringly accurate. My first was a 96 Swede custom,then a Yugo48 and finally a last year production Winchester Model 54. All are equipped with 4x12 power scopes,
Your guild gun has the classic German influence with that fat target style buttstock.The recoil with that will be extra soft. The split breech as you mentioned will be an issue should you have need to scope it. My old eyes require the scopes if I want to hit anything smaller than the proverbial barn. There are mounts available but you will need to do some searching.
Looking forward to seeing your progress but right now it looks pretty good. You did well and have me looking at my original 88 and thinking, do I have time for just one more project?
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."