Project $100 Remington Model 11-48

Other great Remington rifles
Headoftheholler

Project $100 Remington Model 11-48

Post by Headoftheholler »

I picked this Remington model 11-48 up for $100 a few weeks back. The stock had 4 major cracks and a chunk of wood missing right at the tang. The forearm was cracked likewise and missing a huge piece, I deemed neither repairable for a gun I was going to keep.
The 11-48 shotgun replaced the humpback Model 11, it is still a recoil operating shotgun, basically the same great John Browning design but placed in a sleeker reciever. I will post pics as the project progresses, lets start with wood work prior to rebluing.
I found this stock online advertised as a broken rifle stock for $37. I think from the cut checkering and phenomenal grain it was originally from a skeet or trap version. I am adding a custom case hardened grip cap and a vintage pachmyr recoil pad.
First up, the original stock:
The new stock and grip cap:

Stay tuned for more updates.
imfuncity

Re: Project $100 Remington Model 11-48

Post by imfuncity »

Ah, this looks like it's gonna be fun to watch. Thxs
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

This color-case cap is Nice :!: :!:
The figure on that stock is Gorgeous :!: :!:
Care to share the source of the grip cap?
\
Thanx
Phyrbird
SOKY
Headoftheholler

I picked the grip cap up on ebay, guy said he had got it from brownells and had it case colored.
Headoftheholler

The replacement forearm came in today, only able to get two coats of finish on the stock since last post due to work and super high humidity slowing drying time.
Headoftheholler

Two coats in:
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

What do you use for finish?

Nice 11-48 project.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Headoftheholler

I prefer the Minwax Antique oil finish, but with a stock with this much grain and figure I went with Truoil applied a few drops at a time.
I got the action broke apart and it and the barrel blued yesterday, was going to do a final assembly but upon polishing the bolt found that I have a broken firing pin, luckily it shares those parts with the 870 so not an expensive part to replace.

Action before and broke apart.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

HOTH,

(can't recall your Christian name, and Headoftheholler is too awkward for me, so HOTH is it until I know better.. :lol: )

I am digging the 11-48 project you've got going on, and if you purchased that buttstock online for $37 bucks you did yourself a real big kindness! What part of it was "cracked"? You did a great repair, if so. As Carl said, wonderful figuring on that piece of lumber!

Historically, the 11-48 would probably be my next shotgun in line to add to my toy closet. You're right about what you said, it is that link to JMB that is neat.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Headoftheholler

The original stock , not the replacement, was badly cracked top bottom left and right at the tang.
Stock is finished.

Andrew
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Yes sir, that 11-48 stock is looking good, Andrew!

Keep on having "gun fun" - today's the perfect weather for it, at least round here!

Adam
Headoftheholler

Thanks, I run a little small side business here and there restoring guns, the 10 gauge in the other thread is a customers gun, and takes priority.
The short list on my personal to do list:
Finish this 11-48, (waiting on firing pin)
Model 8 project is in limbo , no tool to take down barrel to reblue and the guy that makes them is out of stock
till Jan. (anyone got one they would rent to me for a price?)
Fox model B done but stock and forearm.
German guild gun stock.
Swedish mauser sporter reblue.

As for customer work the only things going at the moment is the 10 gauge, a mosin barrelled action reblue, and a swede mauser
reblue.
Headoftheholler

Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Headoftheholler wrote:Thanks, I run a little small side business here and there restoring guns, the 10 gauge in the other thread is a customers gun, and takes priority.
The short list on my personal to do list:
Finish this 11-48, (waiting on firing pin)
Model 8 project is in limbo , no tool to take down barrel to reblue and the guy that makes them is out of stock
till Jan. (anyone got one they would rent to me for a price?)
Andrew, you don't need a special tool. PM me or email me and I can tell you ways you can do it, without marring anything.

Adam
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I use a very common "secret" tool that works just great to remove the barrel jacket bushing. Most of you will already have one, but if not, you can buy a cheap one at a hardware store for less than $10.00. I use the Winchester choke spanner wrench on the barrel nuts. Get the one with the wooden handle - not the stamped steel one. Sometime the barrel nut is too tight for the spanner wrench and so I leave it where it is or get out my other special tool which I have modified to get the job done. I also remove the barrel jacket bushing FIRST and then the barrel nut. This makes everything much easier. Especially when going back together getting that barrel jacket bushing started without cross threading it. I also have a very cheap "jig" that I made to help with this procedure. This procedure is fast and safe.

Thank you for your time.

ROB
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

ROBOPUMP wrote:I use a very common "secret" tool that works just great to remove the barrel jacket bushing. Most of you will already have one, but if not, you can buy a cheap one at a hardware store for less than $10.00. I use the Winchester choke spanner wrench on the barrel nuts. Get the one with the wooden handle - not the stamped steel one. Sometime the barrel nut is too tight for the spanner wrench and so I leave it where it is or get out my other special tool which I have modified to get the job done. I also remove the barrel jacket bushing FIRST and then the barrel nut. This makes everything much easier. Especially when going back together getting that barrel jacket bushing started without cross threading it. I also have a very cheap "jig" that I made to help with this procedure. This procedure is fast and safe.

Thank you for your time.

ROB
thanks for writing up your method, Rob - I am too sick right now to write much less think straight so we'll get Andrew some help, I'm sure!
Headoftheholler

The barrel jacket bushing was easy to remove, I actually bought a winchoke stamped wrench but it just keeps pulling out, I also tried the socket/drill bit method but broke 3 bits and nothing still.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

A friend (who is no longer with us) made me a special tool that worked on all of mine (20+ over the years) - if it helps any it was based on the 1900 tool. But... I am aware of two model 8 barrels that never did come apart, and one of those I personally was involved with... basically destroyed my never fail tool!! :oops: :cry:

Heard good things about that socket-tool... sounds like it's major-patient-long-term-soaking-time. There is a thread (I can't seem to find it right now) where guys did well soaking the barrel in kerosene, eventually that did the job.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine