Other John Browning shotguns - Stevens 520

Other great Remington rifles
Adam Lee

Other John Browning shotguns - Stevens 520

Post by Adam Lee »

I had a bit of a time figuring where to post this, so here goes.

John Moses Browning - we know his legacy well, here in Model 8 and 81 land - designed many great weapons.

Here's another shotgun design patented by Browning, and made by Stevens. The Model 520 pump 12-gauge. Another super humpback gun! Man, these receivers just grab my attention.
The example posted is my "new" Western Field/Montgomery Ward & Co. 520. Thanks for looking.

Adam

Last edited by Adam Lee on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Roger

Re: Other John Browning shotguns - Stevens

Post by Roger »

Hey Adam, I've got a Stevens 520 in 20 guage with same checkered type wood as your photo has. My youngest son really loves that shotgun and can shoot lights out with it too. The 520 is the one shotgun that JMB designed, that really gets no respect. You can still buy good examples of these for under 250.00 here in Iowa. The other JMB designed shotgun that I like is the Remington 17, which later became the Ithaca 37. The rem. version was only made in 20 guage so they were really sweet guns to carry in the field. Super lightweight. In my opinion, they're the best pump shotgun ever made. I've owned several over the years ,but the only one i have now is a rem. M-17 with a solid rib 28" modified choke barrel. It's a real beauty,that my middle son just loves. It'll be his someday.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Now here is a worthwhile post for a Sat. morning and will get me in trouble! (The couch has been lonely for awhile now anyway.)

Ain't never heard of either of these and being a JMB fan... the search shall commence AT ONCE! :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Roger,

thanks again for chiming in. The Model 520 is really under-rated.

Yes, what lots of folks don't realize is that the Remington 17 was later copied by Ithaca as their Model 37. I think they waited for a patent to expire or something.

Anyway, I've been outside stripping wood finishes and other such fun. Good day for it!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

imfuncity wrote:Now here is a worthwhile post for a Sat. morning and will get me in trouble! (The couch has been lonely for awhile now anyway.)

Ain't never heard of either of these and being a JMB fan... the search shall commence AT ONCE! :D
OOPS! (Joe don't hurt yourself laughing.) :roll: So, Sighthound sends me a GB link with Westernfield (Sav 520). One of the picutres has the slide part way back. I say, "Self, you've seen one like that...."
P1010001 (2) 30.jpg
P1010001 (2) 30.jpg (135.15 KiB) Viewed 31161 times
I don't have one but TWO! ...how embarrassing. :oops:
Both were given to me with the "sometimes they work but..." So they were not exactly front and center, like show pieces etc. Might have to give them a bit more attention now that they've been "discovered". :?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Mitch, you might not be alone in forgetting things or misplacing them!! I can't remember what I had for lunch today so you're in good company. And by the way, we have found that while operating the slide on the Stevens 520 that it must remain upright or else it will drop an unfired round out on the ground. I have no idea why that happens. Our 520 isn't mint by any standard,so it may just have a worn part. We only use it once in a while,so we just keep it upright when cycling the action. Once again, they don't get much respect.
And i think the photo Adam posted may actually be an improved version with a straighter receiver contour.The 620 came along later,with a rounded receiver back. But I think they removed the hump before it be ma the 620. Not really sure about any of it though. Anybody else know some info?
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Roger, Mitch,

I've been into these old Stevens humpbacks for a good while - never owned one, though. That's going to change soon 'nuff!

From my reading, the 520 double-hump receivers were pre-WW1, and the 520A single-hump (looks like the Model 8/Auto 5/etc) was post-WW1 up to the 30's/40's.

In the meantime, here are some resources for yall. Much like Savage Arms, serial number production data is marginal for the Stevens guns of the early 20th century. Guys on other boards have some general info, here are some links.

Adam

http://ravelingroup.com/wordpress1/2013 ... -model-30/

http://ravelingroup.com/wordpress1/2012 ... -reliable/

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 5&t=269484
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks for the links, the Blue Book was basically worthless (as it often is) but I'm liking this... as oppose to when I was a 6th grader, this is fun learning. ;)

Interesting that these came from very different sources, but both appear to be of the same vintage. Both are well worn from honest use never no indications of being used as pry bars or tomato stakes, etc. The one in parts came with a homemade crudely whittle short stock, for his wife? Both obviously double humps, safety in front of the trigger (interestingly neither work!), Western Field with Monkey Wards under neither (OK so it doesn't say "Monkey"), and no other markings (Savage/Stevens/Riverside, etc.)
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

FWIW - here's a GunBroker listing for an oldie but a goodie: an early Stevens 520 pump, 30" barrel smoothbore.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =331917662

I have no stake in this auction; however my birthday's coming up in April so don't anyone hold back now! :lol:

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

And another one: a Wards Western Field SB30A in 16 gauge. Not as pretty, but hey that's just cuz I prefer 12's!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =331704101

Again, I don't have any interests in this auction but just sharing examples of the John Browning designs.

Adam
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Several year ago, there was an episode on the PBS series "History Detectives" in which someone had a cut-off barrel Stevens 520 (actually a Wards Western Field) in 12 gauge which was reputed to have been used as one of the guns in Al Capone's Chicago St. Valentine's Day Massacre of 1929. The "Detectives" couldn't definitively prove that it was or was not authentic, but nonetheless it was an interesting exercise, with a lot of information about the massacre. That episode may still be somewhere on the PBS website.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

DWalt wrote:Several year ago, there was an episode on the PBS series "History Detectives" in which someone had a cut-off barrel Stevens 520 (actually a Wards Western Field) in 12 gauge which was reputed to have been used as one of the guns in Al Capone's Chicago St. Valentine's Day Massacre of 1929. The "Detectives" couldn't definitively prove that it was or was not authentic, but nonetheless it was an interesting exercise, with a lot of information about the massacre. That episode may still be somewhere on the PBS website.
I meant to reply to your comment, but forgot to - (really? I forget things?) I managed to locate that PBS episode on the web and gave it a look.

You are right, it was a very interesting episode! In my opinion, it would be almost impossible to "prove" whether that shotgun was actually a participating element of the massacre, but it was cool to see such an in-depth video inspection of an old Browning designed shotgun!

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetective ... -massacre/

Adam
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks guys - that will be worth a watch.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

This tale goes back nearly 40 years, but an acquaintance had a non-working 520, and asked me if I could fix it. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, and I did manage to fix it, but I do remember it was a fairly difficult job to get it apart and back together again. That was my first and only personal experience with one of these.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

DWalt wrote:This tale goes back nearly 40 years, but an acquaintance had a non-working 520, and asked me if I could fix it. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, and I did manage to fix it, but I do remember it was a fairly difficult job to get it apart and back together again. That was my first and only personal experience with one of these.
Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to do the same thing pretty soon! I'll then be able to provide my own feedback on the complexity level of r&r'ing a 520/620 series pump. Can't wait!

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

I took a screen capture from the PBS video we are talking about. The early 520 double-hump profile is evident, as is the cut-down barrel and buttstock.

Doesn't hurt that the PBS interviewer is easy on the eyes! :mrgreen:

Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Now, here's where I stand with my own early double-hump J. Stevens 520's. A big thanks out to Mitch, BTW!

This is also my day of unwanted wisdom tooth extraction and molar cavity filling. The dentist was great, really no big deal. Way better than my other wisdom tooth removal, exactly 30 years ago! Just dealing with the usual recovery stuff. Vicodin and a beer works well.
30Gov03

Post by 30Gov03 »

I happened upon one of these fine old shotguns back in the late 1980s; a 12 gauge "Ranger Model 30", with the safety in the trigger guard (known as a "suicide safety"). My first impression was "Wow, a pump that looks like the Auto-5", and then I noticed the "Browning's Patent" on the barrel. It immediately followed me home, and has been with me ever since. Simple, sturdy and reliable, but the firing pin WILL break if dry-fired; I learned that one the hard way. twice.

Jim
Adam Lee

Re: Other John Browning shotguns - Stevens 520

Post by Adam Lee »

(*note: thanks to Mitch before I begin this post! I need to snap a bunch of photos of the '29 Dragoon before I ship it your way, FYI!)

I had some time to snap a few pics while I was doing some work on my Stevens 520 shotgun. This project has become another great learning experience about the design, construction, and history of one of John Moses Browning's many firearm patents.

Here are some stocks of the guns I'm tweaking at the moment.
Model 520 Stevens, Model 8 Remington, Model 720 Savage.

Here are a few views of the 520 Stevens after complete stripping down, cleaning with ACV (apple cider vinegar) and mineral spirits, and stripping the wood of all finish.

Now, some pics of the pair of 520 bolts I have after complete teardown, cleaning, and reassembly. All springs were in great shape - all extractor claws solid, too! Pins came out fine, but I'm saving the originals and replaced them with ones I made. Later on I'll order some new ones from Numrich, when I come up with a bigger list of replacement pins for several guns.

More to come. The Remington 8 and Savage 720 bolts and parts will have their own photo-spread, eventually. I am always impressed by the quality of construction of every one of these guns - and their JMB lineage.

Adam
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Wow! Your cleaner solution sure makes 'em look good.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Wow Adam,I'm impressed with your atten tion to detail in your work. Those parts look great.If I just was able to post pics better,I'd post some of my Stevens 520@ my Remington 17 solid rib shotguns. I used to own a checkered wood rem. M-17 and i'm sure it was a factory job. Surprizingly'enuf,that checkering was kind of similar to the very early Ithaca 37 's stock checkering. Of course the I-37 is really just a revamped m-17. I don't know if they just copied the rem. checkering or not. Anyway,those are all great shotguns.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks for the kind words, Mitch & Roger.
All it takes to clean the old stuff off the metal is lots of elbow grease, white vinegar, and mineral spirits. If these were "collector grade" guns I wouldn't use much more than the mineral spirits on the metal, because vinegar strips the finish off right quick (relatively speaking) so with my wartime German rifles I avoided the vinegar.

Also, my intention is to refinish these guns completely, so I must also do some 220/320/400 grit sanding with some components as well. At the moment I'm on the fence regarding what finish I am going to use on the 520. Same goes for the Model 8. Seeing the guns reassembled "in the white" reminds me of the old stainless steel Mossberg Mariner shotguns. I'm actually considering parkerizing believe it or not. Even Cerakote finishes. Besides classic deep black/brown Belgian rust blue.

Roger, I meant to add something to a comment you had made much earlier regarding how your son's Model 520 I believe had a tendency to drop loose shells if the gun was held at a certain angle. Like if the lifter spring wasn't working right, or it was placed incorrectly in relation to the lifter, it can make that occur. I found that out in my working with these 520 shotgun parts - one receiver was missing a few parts, specifically a lifter spring, which when fitted incorrectly in relation to the lifter arm causes it to not "snap" back to battery position at all.

So maybe, the problem with shells dropping out of your shotgun is related to the lifter spring placement.

Check out these pics of the 520/520A/620 schematics - specifically, parts 520-121 and 520A-132. The lifter and lifter spring.
Sorry I can't show any of my own gun assembly pics at the moment, haven't taken 'em yet!

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

520 today after reassembly. Going part by part, removing finish, preparing for refinish. Right now it's getting that 500 Mariner look alright!

Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Adam,thanks for the advice. I kinda felt like it might be a broken or worn part. Now I can check it and see if its installed wrong.
Thanks again,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Good grief! :shock: That's that one of old "beaters" I sent you? 8-) It obviously got a good loving home.

Note: got love the information and help on this forum. +1
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

imfuncity wrote:Good grief! :shock: That's that one of old "beaters" I sent you? 8-) It obviously got a good loving home.

Note: got love the information and help on this forum. +1
Yep, Mitch - what I've done is to choose the later receiver, s/n 70367, as my "core project" which is receiving the total refinish work.

I had to use the stock from the earlier receiver, s/n 53213, since that one was what I had to work with. In order to make it fit best, however, the trigger assembly from 53213 had to be mated up with 70367's receiver for the stock to really fit. Reason being, was the old 1918 era stock was worn in the pistol-grip area and enough dimensional differences with the later milled trigger tang pushed me to do this.

I've already priced out Boyds for a "new" semi-inlet stock, which are currently available.

On your Dragoon, not sure if you looked at the pics I emailed you, but I'm happy with how it turned out and I think you will be as well. I set it up as a "period correct" Dragoon, and I realized another bonus is that it has no import markings of any kind.
Cool, huh?

Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Now my new/old ca. 1918 Model 520 really looks like a Mossberg Mariner!! Thinking about a Cerakote finish on this one, since I already have a compressor and an airbrush.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6 ... directlink
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed the metal looks stainless and nice looking wood. Enjoying the pix.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Adam, my two cents worth says leave it bright like it is. Just keep it oiled up all the time. It looks pretty cool that way. In fact, I may start looking for an old 12 or 16 guage now,that I can finish bright . Just like yours is now. We see alot of those Stevens 520/620 guns out here in the Midwest. I think farmers here found them to be an inexpensive utility tool and so now they seem to show up regularly at gunshows. Always between 100.00 to 200.00$. Our twenty gauge is sure lightweight and handy in the field.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Roger wrote:Hey Adam, my two cents worth says leave it bright like it is. Just keep it oiled up all the time. It looks pretty cool that way. In fact, I may start looking for an old 12 or 16 guage now,that I can finish bright . Just like yours is now. We see alot of those Stevens 520/620 guns out here in the Midwest. I think farmers here found them to be an inexpensive utility tool and so now they seem to show up regularly at gunshows. Always between 100.00 to 200.00$. Our twenty gauge is sure lightweight and handy in the field.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger, please send me a PM or an email if and when you come across any old 520 double hump, 520A single hump Stevens/Western Field/Sears shotgun in your midwestern travels in the price range you mentioned.

Of course, I realize you have first pick! LOL

And, thanks for the comments. I might do just like you said, and keep the gun oiled up and "in the white".....since it does look pretty darn cool this way! Already had some nice comments from some friends about it. Now, to take it all apart again and fiddle with the lifter and lifter spring. They aren't working as solidly as I'd like them to in function.

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

imfuncity wrote:Indeed the metal looks stainless and nice looking wood. Enjoying the pix.
Thanks Mitch - might keep it this way for now! It does look nice in the white.

Can you believe the nice figuring in the stock, I really think it offsets the heavy wear evident on the pistol grip checkering. As I just noted in my comment to Roger, I am still tweaking this a bit. I believe the lifter and lifter spring need some more TLC for the lifter to do its job with more "punch" - but it is all very functional, the suicide safety works fine! Of course, I took it all apart to remove the "baked on crud" which made it basically inoperable as a safety.

Going to be taking this and a few other gunsmith projects along with me to my folks' place today. Dad's machinist tools are fun to use.

Adam