Curious about first .35 Rem model 14's

Other great Remington rifles
Adam Lee

Curious about first .35 Rem model 14's

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,
I was curious as to whether any of you had some specific "first run" manufacture date info regarding the Model 14 rifles. Specifically, was the .35 Rem chambering available in the first production years?

What year would that have been - I read through some posts but want to be sure I got it right. Was 1910 or 1912 the first year?

Finally, besides Remmy Model 8's and 14's in the early 20th century, what other manufactured rifles in .35 BEFORE 1940? All I can think of is the Marlin 336, and I think that was in 1949/1950.

Thanks all!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
texassako

Re: Curious about first .35 Rem model 14's

Post by texassako »

I don't know when the 14 had its first run of .35 Rem's, but I know a few others that came in it. The Remington Model 30 Express bolt action came in it and the Standard Arms Model G semiauto(and M pump?).
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

Stevens 425 Hi-Power rifle was chambered in .35 Remington too, and of course the FN Patent 1900 carabine automatique, though they called it a 9mm
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback.

What I am trying to learn, is the background history of the .35 Remington cartridge and its early use.

I am very interested in the early to mid-20th century American history of what we would call working-class community and culture. I just happen to be a 6th grade teacher, and social studies is my passion! I teach in Virginia, which is great in terms of my own research interests.
Colonial life, the Revolution, the War of Northern Aggression ;) are all favorites.

To that end, I get lucky sometimes and find old guns to tinker with as an amateur gunsmith - working on my late 18th century flintlock, my 1930's Savage 720 satisfies my mechanical and shooting hobbies.

The post stock market crash of '29 and depression era is what got me into the .35 Rem, as well as the various Browning-designed "springpole" guns.

OK, so there you have it - a bit of a mini-bio that I thought would help 'yall better understand where I'm coming from.

Happy New Year in advance!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Believe you would find Ken Blauch book on The Classic Remington 14 of help. His opening information:
...the 14 was first introduced in 1912, chambered in the 25Rem, 30Rem and 32Rem, but chambering in the 35Rem and large calibers was expected early in 1913. In a January 1913 meeting, they decided to only add the 35Rem to the 14 and to introduce the 14 1/2 to address the pistol calibers.

On the Remington Society page: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/Model141
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

imfuncity wrote:Believe you would find Ken Blauch book on The Classic Remington 14 of help. His opening information:
...the 14 was first introduced in 1912, chambered in the 25Rem, 30Rem and 32Rem, but chambering in the 35Rem and large calibers was expected early in 1913. In a January 1913 meeting, they decided to only add the 35Rem to the 14 and to introduce the 14 1/2 to address the pistol calibers.

On the Remington Society page: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/Model141
thanks for your help - I appreciate the information!

happy new years, all.

Adam
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Mitch, I too was curious about the 14.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com