Just bought a Model14

Other great Remington rifles
panzerman

Just bought a Model14

Post by panzerman »

Have always felt the Model 14 was a neat old rifle though I have never shot one. I finally got one today on GB in 32 Rem. Now am on the hunt for ammo, I do reload but figured I could get a few boxes of ammo and use that as a brass for my future reloading. WOW ammo is pricey and all backordered right now.....

I do not yet have dies for it but that too will be taken care of soon, if anyone has a link to currently available 32 Rem ammo I would love to see it.

Pictures once I get her...
[b]Ride, shoot straight and speak the truth "Jeff Cooper"/b]
texassako

Re: Just bought a Model14

Post by texassako »

The sources I know of are Old Western Scrounger and Buffalo Arms, but I think they are both sold out. I month or so ago a few die sets were floating around some of the other forums I frequent for ~$40, but looks like those have disappeared as well. Even the .30 Rem brass to form into .32 has become scarce lately.
panzerman

Post by panzerman »

Yep I am finding that out..oh well I will keep plugging away at it, something should turn up sooner or later
olskool

Post by olskool »

i load for the 32 rem. i have one in a model 8 i use 33.5 gr. of imr4895 with a speer 170gr. and i also use 170gr. rcbs cast . i use 32 win. special dies, they work good. i use 30 rem. brass, just run them through your die to neck up.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
panzerman

Post by panzerman »

olskool wrote:i load for the 32 rem. i have one in a model 8 i use 33.5 gr. of imr4895 with a speer 170gr. and i also use 170gr. rcbs cast . i use 32 win. special dies, they work good. i use 30 rem. brass, just run them through your die to neck up.
Thanks but seems these are scarce as well, but it does improve my odds of finding something in stock though. Thanks much. I have a Model 81 in 300 savage and I love that rifle, I have a redfield peep on it but need some stripper clips as loading proves to be a bugger.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Rats, knew I should have held on to those 32Rems. a year or so ago got a deal on a few boxes by buying them all - sent them down the road a few weeks back to a couple of collectors. Wish I had more, I'd sure share them.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
panzerman

Post by panzerman »

imfuncity wrote:Rats, knew I should have held on to those 32Rems. a year or so ago got a deal on a few boxes by buying them all - sent them down the road a few weeks back to a couple of collectors. Wish I had more, I'd sure share them.
No worries dude, that the way it goes. I will keep looking, GAD's custom cartridges website states they will make them for a heckuva lot cheaper than any of the backordered stuff I found but I have not heard back from them yet so we will see....
texassako

Post by texassako »

panzerman wrote:No worries dude, that the way it goes. I will keep looking, GAD's custom cartridges website states they will make them for a heckuva lot cheaper than any of the backordered stuff I found but I have not heard back from them yet so we will see....
I would think twice about Gad. The last few threads I have seen about his ammo showed he was showing his age, as in dangerously forgetful. I asked him about some heeled bullets once and received an earful; so I spent my money else where.
panzerman

Post by panzerman »

texassako wrote:
panzerman wrote:No worries dude, that the way it goes. I will keep looking, GAD's custom cartridges website states they will make them for a heckuva lot cheaper than any of the backordered stuff I found but I have not heard back from them yet so we will see....
I would think twice about Gad. The last few threads I have seen about his ammo showed he was showing his age, as in dangerously forgetful. I asked him about some heeled bullets once and received an earful; so I spent my money else where.
Really? WOW, I just ordered 60 rounds from him but I will take your advice and before I shoot them I will pull a few apart and check the loads. I called RCBS today and they have dies available (pricey damn things they are) but they have em' so that is the next thing on the order form.
Thanks for the advice.
j
panzerman

Post by panzerman »

Thanks to some advice on another forum I found some Redding dies for half the price of RCBS so am going that route.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed. And the old dies show up every once in a while on FleaBay, etc. if a guy is not in a hurry.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
panzerman

Post by panzerman »

Not a good photographer but here are some pics of her. No ammo or dies yet as they are in the mail. She has some rust flakes on the reciever and muzzle and stock is scuffed but those are just old battle scars, other than getting rid of the rust I will keep her as is. Really looking forward to shooting her.
Attachments
P1070005.JPG
P1070005.JPG (640.66 KiB) Viewed 11019 times
P1070004.JPG
P1070004.JPG (620.63 KiB) Viewed 11019 times
Roger

Post by Roger »

Looks like a nice honest rem m-14. I've reloaded for 32 rem. For years. Email me if you need any help.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com