Model11or Pre 11 Autoloader

Other great Remington rifles
D.Ogle

Model11or Pre 11 Autoloader

Post by D.Ogle »

I'am confused and the more I read about this shotgun the more confused I get.Several years ago I was given an early Remington shotgun,on the browning pat.It was given to me by a friend because it wouldn't recyle after the first shot.I just put it in the gun case and left it till the other day.when I pulled up some info on and learned about the friction rings.I took it apart and found that the rings were improperly set.I set them for havey loads ,took it out and test fired it and it worked great.I decided to learn a little about it,this is where the confusion comes in.It's not the original barrel,and I doubt that its the original wood,and but plate.The reciver is stamped Remington Arms Co. Ilion NY USA,and then the Browning Pat. dates,all this on the top lift side. On the bottom at the front and rear of the loading port is the serial number (848)(this number is also found on rod houseing that go's into the stock.From what I have read the serial numbers started at 10000,or 1000,nobody seems to know for sure. Can anyone tell when this shotgun was made. I have pictures but I don't know how to post them on this site.
sighthound

Re: Model11or Pre 11 Autoloader

Post by sighthound »

You have a 1905 made Remington Autoloading Gun. Serial number info is confusing and incomplete, I have A Number 1 Standard Grade #554 in my collection. These came in 4 grades #1 Standard, #2 Checkered wood, #3 Trap with straight grip stock and #0 Riot/Messenger Grade. These pre 11 guns were made through 1910 when the Remington Model 11 was introduced, basically same gun with minor improvements. Remingtons hand written productions records as shown on Remingtons collectors site are a mess of mixed up barely readable hand written rubber stamped pages. Since you and I both have guns below number 1000 that could not have been starting number. Who knows maybe 100 or 1.
The book Browning Auto-5 Shotguns by Shirley and Vanderlinden details much info about Brownings dispute with Winchester over compensation for his design, the sudden death of Remingtons CEO preventing a deal there and Brownings arrangement with FN in Belgium for production of his A5 design, soon modified in 1903 to allow Remington to make the guns for US market because of very high tarrifs to protect US manufacturers. Yours and my guns are obviously first year production regardless of what starting number was. Hope this helps, jerry
D.Ogle

Re: Model11or Pre 11 Autoloader

Post by D.Ogle »

Jerry thank you so much,thats the information I've been looking for for over 6 months.