MODEL 14 PROJECT FINISHED

Other great Remington rifles
olskool

Post by olskool »

Image this is my 30 remington model 14 that i cut to 18 1/2 in. when i saved it from a pawn shop it had no blueing left but it was tight and the bore was perfect. so i always wanted a 14r i cut the 22in barrel and reblued with a matt finish and refinished the wood. i just put it back together last week and it shoots great with 130 gr. speer fp. and blc2 powder. it will be killen deer this year for the first time in years i'm sure.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
olskool

Post by olskool »

Image the other side
imfuncity

Re: MODEL 14 PROJECT FINISHED

Post by imfuncity »

Very very nice, great wood - I'm gonna have to take a closer look at mine, if my wood is that pretty maybe I should...? :idea:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey olskool,

I don't know anything about the model 14's but I know good wood when I see it and you have beautiful wood on that rifle. I can appreciate your comments about getting a project finished. It always feels good to see one's efforts produce a thing of beauty.
Congratualstions on your project. I am sure it will do a good job on the deer if the 14's are anything like the 8 & 81's.

Regards,

jack1653
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Very nice Olskool, That is outstanding.Great Job!

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

Nice SAVE! The wood, alone, was worth bringing her back. I like that carbine.
War Eagle!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Olskool, that's the prettiest wood I've ever seen on a rem.14. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jthgunnut

Post by jthgunnut »

Olskool,
As a big fan of bringing old weapons back to life I would say you did an excellent job of saving this piece of history. Good hunting!
jthgunnut
kendall

Post by kendall »

Beautiful chunk of walnut on that rifle. Very well done Sir. I bought my first model 14 just last year. I went into the local pawn and there was this rifle like nothing I had ever seen. My first thought was it was a shotshell shucker. Of course I had to have it. It turned out to be a 32 Rem. Since then I've got Lee collet dies and I'm tossing 170 grainers down range at 2000fps. 3" gun at 100 yards, and I may never hunt with it, being out in the desert SW where shots are generally measured in multiples of 100 yards, but it sure is a fun piece of history. I need to go look at the wood on mine now.
ranman

Post by ranman »

Now that is one classy rifle, the wood is amazing . Nice :mrgreen:
olskool

Post by olskool »

thanks for all the nice comments, when i saw the wood on the gun in the pawn shop you could just faintly see the grain under decades of crud. i striped the finish with furniture striper, and very lightley roughed up the wood with 320 grit. and used truoil. kendall what load do you use in your 32? my model loves imr4895 with a rcbs cast or speer jsp.
The Goose

Post by The Goose »

Now that is a beautiful rifle. Great work!
moses

Post by moses »

Now that is one nice looking rifle----Now you have me looking at mine and--THINKING--Just mabe?????? Moses
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

olskool,

I have a brief question for you about your fine-looking Model 14 project. Could you show and/or explain a bit more on the method of replacing your front sight, after shortening your barrel?

My question is, did you silver solder or "braze" some sort of aftermarket blade sight to the barrel?

Thanks. Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
olskool

Post by olskool »

i am replying to Adam, i know the question was asked a wile back, sorry it has took so long to answer. i cut a dovetail in the barrel for the sight.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Excellent restore :!: :!:

The dovetail cuts are hard t get right with hand tools, I know. Did you use a mill?
Phyrbird
SOKY