Remington Model 11 Question

Other great Remington rifles
jthgunnut

Remington Model 11 Question

Post by jthgunnut »

I'm in the process of refurbishing a very tired Mod 11. I noticed on disassembly that there was no fiber recoil buffer left in the back of the receiver. On past projects, I have noted that neither the Browning Auto 5 or the Savage 720 has the buffer. What would be the effect of deleting the buffer from a Model 11?? I have replaced them in the past but drilling out the rivet has always caused me some concern. :roll: Has anyone experienced prolonged firing w/o the buffer? jthgunnut
Sarge756

Re: Remington Model 11 Question

Post by Sarge756 »

jthgunnut...I`ve often wondered that myself. I too have replaced the buffer on a few Mod 11`s and noted the A5's I`ve had apart didn`t have the same buffer.Havn`t had an occasion to work on a Savage 720.With the design virtually identical I don`t have a clue why that is. From posts on other forums it seems to be the consensus that prolonged shooting of an 11 without the recoil buffer inplace can result in cracking of the bolt at the top left corner. Having shot a few sans buffer I got the impression that the recoil was a bit sharper without it. This may have been because I expected it to be.
Don`t know what process you have used to replace the buffer on yours. I found one that is satisfactory in "Gunsmith Kinks" Vol I page 319. Using a piece of brake lining cut to fit and a 6x48 screw rather than trying to duplicate that blind rivet. I`d be interested to know why one model has it and the others don`t. Hopefully, some of our learned ones can offer an explanation.If not, and you find the information from another source please be sure to let us know.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

KEN
jthgunnut

Post by jthgunnut »

Sarge756 wrote:jthgunnut...
Don`t know what process you have used to replace the buffer on yours. I found one that is satisfactory in "Gunsmith Kinks" Vol I page 319. Using a piece of brake lining cut to fit and a 6x48 screw rather than trying to duplicate that blind rivet.
Joe

Joe,
Have received my copies of Gunsmith Kinks from Brownell's. In checking Vol. 1, page 319 I'm a little confused as to how this process works. Is he indicating that you drill through the back of the receiver for the screw to screw into the brake lining to hold the buffer pad? I was hoping for a diagram. I'm not sure I would use the screw through the back of the receiver unless I accidently drilled through while removing the old rivet. The 11 I just finished I used the Numerich hollow rivet and buffer pad coating all surfaces liberally with red loctite. I've test-fired the shotgun several times and it appears to be holding. My concern has always been drilling out the old rivet w/o penetrating the rear of the receiver. I would appreciate knowing your understanding of the brake line and screw process.
Thanks,
Jon
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Seeing that Numrich has the buffer and the rivet that would be the way to go. Glad that it and the loctite are working for you.Sure sounds simpler than the Kink fix. I did a couple using the brake lining several years back.Requires an extension on a #31 drill and the bottoming tap to do it from the inside. A steady hand and slow drilling is the order of the day to keep from poking a hole through the back of the receiver. I have a Sportsman that I`m going to pull apart in a day or two.If it needs the buffer I`m going to be on the phone to Numrich. Wondered if anyone came across the reason that the A5`s didn`t come with the buffer.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
jthgunnut

Post by jthgunnut »

Joe,
I thoroughly confused myself. :oops: I was trying to use brake line, a screw and the Numerich buffer pad. For some reason I didn't process that they were making the buffer pad out of brake lining. I get it now. Thanks for the help.
Jon