Found an interesting one at Gander Mountain...

Other great Remington rifles
45guy

Found an interesting one at Gander Mountain...

Post by 45guy »

I stumbled upon one of the WWII era Remington produced A-5's (not 11, has magazine cutoff) in 20 gauge. A new friction piece and ring later, and it has become a great bunny slayer.

"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Re: Found an interesting one at Gander Mountain...

Post by imfuncity »

Cool. Good job.

No Gander Mountian, no Cabelas, no Bass Pro, no ..., etc. in my area (or CA mostly). Cyber Monday is my friend (and the couch of course). :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Too bad it has a Cutts, but far better that than a Polychoke or a Herter's. Did it have the Cutts tubes?
45guy

Post by 45guy »

It came with several, though I'm sticking with the "spreader" for now, as it is my new dedicated bunny gun.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Barrel code puts production at February of 1941.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I got curious and went back to the 1944 First Edition of Gun Digest. It shows that the Remington Model 11 was indeed available with a factory-installed Cutts Compensator with spreader and full choke tubes - ALSO available with Poly Choke. Of course, there were no sporting guns being made in the US in 1944, and much of the gun information given in the First Edition of GD was actually from the pre-war period.

Exactly how you could tell if your Cutts was original or aftermarket, I do not know. It shows that the Browning was also available the same way. Now, whether the Browning was made by Remington or was pre-Nazi-invasion Belgian FN, I cannot determine. If yours could be established as having been originally shipped with a Cutts, then it would be worth more.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Is there a Remington equivalent of a Winchester letter? Not that I'm going to part with it, but I would love to learn the history of this piece. I'm also trying to determine if all of the American Brownings had matted barrels. The only info I've been able to locate on that matter was a similar one that sold on Gunsamerica... I tend to take information regarding rarity in advertisements with a grain of salt...
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I can't say about the US Brownings, but I once had a 20 Ga M11 (early 1930's, as I remember) that had a solid (not ventilated) matted rib on the barrel. I had been told that feature was a little unusual, but not unknown. That's one gun I wish I had not sold, but I bought it for my wife, and she did not like it. I don't believe there is such a thing as a Remington factory letter, but there is a Remington collector site/forum that you might be able to get some information from.