My winter project: Faux Number 4

Other great Remington rifles
45guy

My winter project: Faux Number 4

Post by 45guy »

So, I have a Belgian made number four copy on the way. As soon as it arrives, I will be able to get the mic out to determine if it will be possible to make original Remington parts work, much like the Chi-com Winchester 97 I rebuilt with Winchester parts. More to follow as the project progresses.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
45guy

Re: My winter project: Faux Number 4

Post by 45guy »

Photo of the winter project... I find it strangely attractive...
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

You are sick 8-) - will look forward to progress report and pics.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

After looking at the additional pics I was provided, it is closer to a number 2... And so the plot thickens...
45guy

Post by 45guy »

UPS says it should be delivered tomorrow, even though the last scan was it's departure from Jacksonville, FL on the 15th...
45guy

Post by 45guy »

And so it begins. I am currently in the process of tearing it down and seeking a source for parts that are dimensionally similar enough to be made to work... Not much fun as of yet.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

On agenda:

1. Cut spur off of whatever hammer I can locate in parts bin and braze to block.
2. Locate suitable firing pin, or turn one myself. (Don't really have time for latter.)
3. Ask random folks for finish suggestions to replace peeling plating...
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

You have some work to do. I did this 7mm mauser carbine awhile back. Came to me with a beat up stock and covered in rust but it was all there.At some time the barrel had been replaced and had a very good bore.Full polish,rust blue and stock refinish was done with a faux case hardened finish to the receiver.
This one shoots very well even with the horrible carbine sights.Good luck with your Winter project. If I can assist with ideas or perhaps a part let me know. I`m hoping to get a start on a low wall Winder musket before Spring.Will have to stop working on the 8`s and the other stuff though. Too many projects and too little time. Joe
Attachments
IMG_2639.jpg
IMG_2639.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 9095 times
rollingblock012.jpg
rollingblock012.jpg (60.12 KiB) Viewed 9095 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Thanks for offering to help sarge! I'm sure Kenneth Womack can use a break from my incessant questioning! I'm currently doing practice runs with my improvised lathe turning firing pins. I'll try to get a picture or two up later.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

So I finished turning my new firing pin a few moments ago. While I know I should have waited until I heat treated it, I couldn't resist giving it a shot with one of the super colibris Mitch sent. :D So now I have to shape the spur I cut off off an old Stevens hammer and braze it to the block. I suppose when I do that I can bone meal case harden the firing pin. Here are a few low quality cell phone pictures of the process.
Last edited by 45guy on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Sarge, any suggestions on what to do with the old nickel on it? Break out the walnut media and blue? Perhaps color case harden the receiver? I can't screw it up any worse than it already is...