Christmas Cat Hunt

Post your non-Model 8 and 81
Hunting pictures here
J. Riekers

Christmas Cat Hunt

Post by J. Riekers »

I've always wanted to get a bobcat for the taxidermist but I've never shot one until now. I've seen several while out in the woods and fields but they always appeared to be just over-sized house cats. I have a profound respect for all wild cats, so it is with mixed emotions that I report the killing of one today, this morning before Christmas. While deer hunting, I spotted this cat sneaking down a game trail. It was unusually larger compared to others I have seen and has a beautiful white accented face. I made sure it was a male. My 7-08 cracked and the cat jumped four feet in the air and disappeared from sight. I was sure the shot was true and the cat was dead. However, when I got to the spot where the cat was I could not find him. More searching revealed a blood trail. The blood trail was as pronounced as any deer would have made. Unbelievably, the cat went just over 100 yards! The entrance hole is undetectable and the exit is a mere dime sized round hole in the middle of the rib cage. The skin is not damaged and the cat is striking to me. He will get a place of honor in my trophy room. I will not shoot another bobcat as my quest was more than fulfilled.

www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
81police

Re: Christmas Cat Hunt

Post by 81police »

beautiful bobcat! You just don't see them too often out hunting. They're pretty majestic creatures and I too would have a hard time pulling the trigger on one...maybe, haha. What a trophy!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: Christmas Cat Hunt

Post by imfuncity »

I have no place to display trophies, if and when I finally go hunting, never had an interest in a trophy anything... that said, a cat like that could indeed make me rethink the whole idea! Great throphy.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine