Deer Hunt

Post your non-Model 8 and 81
Hunting pictures here
J. Riekers

Deer Hunt

Post by J. Riekers »

This is a field report much more so than a hunt report. I've been guiding clients and assisting with culling on a large TX ranch. Not a lot of "hunting", moreso being still, quiet and scent free and making good shots. Anyway, the load we have settled on for the 7mm-08 is the 150 grain Swift Scirocco at 2700 fps MV. My rifle has taken 9 deer now (7 clients used it and I shot two myself) and Ricky has taken 2 deer with his rifle, same exact load. From 100 pounds to 185 pounds animal weight and from 60 yards to 214 yards the bullet performance is outstanding. Slightly over-sized entry holes and exit holes like a half-dollar when lung shots are taken. All of the deer dropped immediately or within sight and those that moved even a little left large blood trails. I really like this loading for deer sized game and smaller!
Side note: The rifle is a T/C Icon Limited Edition. It shoots half-inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds and wears a Leupold VX-3 3X9.
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
81police

Re: Deer Hunt

Post by 81police »

J.,

That top deer is a nice heavy antlered buck. I've also heard great things about the 7mm-08. Where we hunt the .270Win, .300WinMag, and .257 Weatherby Mag are used. Most shots between 100-200 yards.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: Deer Hunt

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed. Last night after reading your story and a bit of research, I was very tempted by a 7mm-08; but alas, turned it down as I STILL have not started reloading. :oops:

(Note to self: you got the gear, RELOAD this year!)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine