My Son's First Deer

Post your non-Model 8 and 81
Hunting pictures here
J. Riekers

My Son's First Deer

Post by J. Riekers »

Tomorrow Brandon will be 6 years old. He wanted to hunt and get a deer for his birthday. We've been shooting a lot and tried hunting 5 or 6 times so far with no results. I was holding him to 40 yds for the 38 Spl loads. While he was at school, I moved the sights to put hot 357 loads on the money at 50 yards. At 100 yards they were still on. After school we headed out to the field. We saw several deer but all 100 yards or more out there. At around 7:10PM four deer came in from our left. The second one in line, a doe, was closest. I hesitated at first because the range was 76 yards but after considering everything I told him to aim in. The first shot dropped her in her tracks. She was moving her head around some so Brandon worked the lever, aimed in and asked "Can I shoot her again". I told him to go ahead, and he put the second shot just two or three inches from the first and the doe was down for good. He never noticed the recoil or noise from the 357 Mag loads. The first shot hit high shoulder and exited. The second shot hit center shoulder and did not exit but was not found. Ricky made the load for us but it was 158gr Speer JFP @ a max handgun load. Pretty good shooting offhand by a 5 year old with open sights. Thank you Griff for loaning us the rifle and Nate Kiowa Jones for sending us a short stock. Brandon has shot stuff before but always in a somewhat controlled environment. This time we did our homework and put in our time. The feeling I had is indescribable. Somewhere in that little body is a man. One minute he is five and the next he is holding an adult conversation with anyone. He took this whole experience seriously and was very respectful to the animal after he shot it. This may have been the coolest day I've ever had. I know Brandon thinks the same. Happy Birthday, Son!

www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
81police

Re: My Son's First Deer

Post by 81police »

This might be the coolest post I've ever read. Thanks for sharing that terrific story J. To think your son hit that doe twice with open sights in excess of 75 yards, that's incredible and no doubt due to the teaching of a loving father. You should be real proud. His first deer with a 357 Mag, how cool! I'm sure Brandon will have this night well engrained in his memory the rest of his life, I mean heck you can't fake that smile!

God bless,
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bend Shooter

Post by Bend Shooter »

WOW!
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"This may have been the coolest day I've ever had. I know Brandon thinks the same. Happy Birthday, Son!"
INDEED. Great job - again!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
tx81

Post by tx81 »

Congrats to both father AND son!! For someone so young to accurately shoot something at over 75 yards is saying something for the both of you.

I am kicking myself in the behind for not buying a rifle chambered in .357 Magnum many, many years ago. They were only asking $160 for it at the time and it's the one rifle I've really regretted not buying.

Again, congrats to both father and son!!

RR