Ya gotta love these GB guys!

9.3shooter

Ya gotta love these GB guys!

Post by 9.3shooter »

Hardrada55

Re: Ya gotta love these GB guys!

Post by Hardrada55 »

One photo...
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Besides being in a caliber that didnt even exist when his rifle was made, assuming he dated it correctly: it has a model 81 forearm. I emailed him about his rifle but he has not replied or changed anything.
Price is sky high.
There are a few good buys on GB and GI, but nothing I am looking for.
81police

Post by 81police »

And that vintage Saturn Boone scope and mount might be worth as much as the rifle!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

WOW! Another Frankengun to add to my collection! I'm going to BIN! :lol:

I wonder how much they want for the pool table.. and what the shipping would be.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

81police wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:25 am And that vintage Saturn Boone scope and mount might be worth as much as the rifle!
I have to side with 81police about the collectability of that sight.

While it may or may not be a factory repair the 8 appears to look nice overall It's definitely not good on the seller to only have one photo to represent the gun though!

Tell me the last time you saw that scope and mount on a gun or available for purchase? That's the first one I've seen other than photos in the gallery on this page. They are hens teeth!

A good/pristine example of that scope and mount would fetch a premium to the right buyer.
Last edited by Hibby83 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

I read on this board that those scopes are pretty much garbage, not sure why its worth much. Just because something is scarce doesnt make it worth anything.
I asked the seller about the rifle, is totally clueless. He now insists its a model 81 and changed the listing.
I asked him for more info and advised for more pics.
He is stuck on this being the original barrel to the rifle, even though the Savage didnt come along till 1920 and only in the model 81 starting in 1940. Lower tang on the grip has either been bent straight or its a model 8.
PremierGrade

Post by PremierGrade »

I sell on GB and that ad is a 100% POS. The Boone scopes were a "cure" for the top ejecting rifles. It was Weaver 440 quality (crap).

Scoping a top ejector is easy with a scout scope as I have done with my 81 or finding a Stith offset mount for Lyman Alaskan.