Rem 8/81 Featured in Dillion 'Blue Press'

Rifleman

Rem 8/81 Featured in Dillion 'Blue Press'

Post by Rifleman »

Dillon Reloading in their publication, 'The Blue Press' for October 2019 has a two page article about the 8 and 81's. I don't use a progressive reloader (get along fine with my Ol' RCBS Rockchucker), but have bought items from time to time from them so they send me their magazine/catalog. Anyway nice article, anybody who has, had , or read up on the 8/81's it will be pretty much a review of the two models history and such, but nice to see the 8/81's getting a little publicity.
kenhwind

Re: Rem 8/81 Featured in Dillion 'Blue Press'

Post by kenhwind »

I just located my copy of the Oct. Blue Press.
The article doesn't have much information and seems brief. More like a story for print rather then critique of these rifles.

The part the about Bonnie & Clyde ambush and who had what guns has been debated time and again.

But he seems to have a few facts wrong. The Browning shotgun that became the A 5 came first. Marshall implies the opposite. I have doubts about Browning selling the right to Remington, because of the falling out with Winchester over royalties. If he did sell the rights to Remington then how was FN able to produce essentially the same rifle. The Remington and Savage versions of the A 5 have "Browning's Patents" on them.

This is not a criticism of the writers knowledge or expertise.
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

Several of the paragraphs from the article were rewrites of paragraphs from this very website.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

kenhwind/81 Police: What you penned may be true, not debating that. The article wasn't I believe to be one giving the full skinny on the rifle and as I wrote to those familiar with the two models, would just be knowledge already known. It was to give shooters who may be unaware of even the existence of them and just a brief history of them. I know shooters who are in that situation and have to educate them. As I wrote, it was nice to see the 8/81's given a little 'publicity' to the shooting world vs some article about the latest long range wonder gun in some fancy caliber or the latest AR or plastic framed wonder nine. I'm just the messenger, not the writer/printer. Guess Dillion would have to be contacted for any lack of or error in information. As far as Frank Hamer, Sheriff Jim Wilson (Shooting Times/American Rifleman) wrote he knew and talked with Hamers son who advised his Dad, Frank Hamer, used a Model 8 35 Remington on that ambush of B and C. Just nice to see both models given a little notoriety as they should, didn't post the existence of it to be gems of wisdom never known before. Good day to all.
81police

Post by 81police »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 am kenhwind/81 Police: What you penned may be true, not debating that. The article wasn't I believe to be one giving the full skinny on the rifle and as I wrote to those familiar with the two models, would just be knowledge already known. It was to give shooters who may be unaware of even the existence of them and just a brief history of them. I know shooters who are in that situation and have to educate them. As I wrote, it was nice to see the 8/81's given a little 'publicity' to the shooting world vs some article about the latest long range wonder gun in some fancy caliber or the latest AR or plastic framed wonder nine. I'm just the messenger, not the writer/printer. Guess Dillion would have to be contacted for any lack of or error in information. As far as Frank Hamer, Sheriff Jim Wilson (Shooting Times/American Rifleman) wrote he knew and talked with Hamers son who advised his Dad, Frank Hamer, used a Model 8 35 Remington on that ambush of B and C. Just nice to see both models given a little notoriety as they should, didn't post the existence of it to be gems of wisdom never known before. Good day to all.
:D :D...I'd do thumbs up but don't have that emoji
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator