LE Firearms Courtesy of jim8008

81police

LE Firearms Courtesy of jim8008

Post by 81police »

I had the pleasure of spending some time talking Remington 8's, 81's, and everything else with forum member jim8008 If you haven't got to converse with Jim you're missing out, he's one heck of a guy and VERY knowledgeable on all kinds of firearms. Plus he's a native born Texican so in my book he's already likeable right there :D Thanks again Jim, had a BLAST!

He let me snap a few photos of some guns he brought out. The first couple pictures are a collection of law enforcement Remington's.

Model 11, Model 81 "Special Police", Model 31 "Special Police, Model 8 POE, and an FBI Model 81.

The last photo is an assortment of rare martially marked firearms that I'll let Jim describe!

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
xtimberman

Re: LE Firearms Courtesy of jim8008

Post by xtimberman »

Wow....what an assemblage!

Thanks for posting the photos! :D
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Nice set, thanks for sharing the pics. I like the 92 short carbine in the second set - maybe because I've been thinking about lever actions in pistol calibers lately!

Appreciate your efforts in providing the photos, Cam. And nice to share the guns with us Jim!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Hey Adam,

The '92 was sort of an accidental purchase. My primary collecting interest is in Remington police and the U.S. martially
marked Winchesters (from the Hotchkiss to the Model 70 Van Orden sniper).

The little Trapper is a 14" in .38-40 from 1912 ... a good little shooter. I also have a 5 1/2" Colt SAA in .38-40 from
1910. Doubles the fun at the dirt pile.

I wouldn't have the Remingtons without the help of Cam, Jack, and Bob with S & S Hunt Club. They are fine gentlemen
to deal with.

You will enjoy a little lever action.

Jim

And, of course, the four Winchesters shown are all Browning designs.
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

Is the 1895 Winchester one of the Russian contract models....or was it a special order item chambered for a North American cartridge?
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

xtimberman,

The 1895 rifle is one of the U.S. contract muskets. It was shipped from Winchester to the Springfield Armory on January 12,
1899. One of 10,000 total ordered, it was in the last shipment of 1,000. The rifle is marked U.S. on the receiver ring and
there are several KSM inspector marks on it. On top of the barrel, under the handguard, is the .30 U. S. caliber marking
(also referred to as .30 Army and more commonly .30-40).

The rifle is shown with an original "Winchester Repeating Arms Co." marked bayonet and original bayonet scabbard.

The Russian contract muskets, ~294,000 from 1915 to 1917, were chambered for the 7.62x54mm Russian cartridge. The
top of the receiver ring is marked "7.62 M.M." and there are clip loading guides on the receiver.

Thanks for your question.

Jim
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

jim8008 wrote:xtimberman,

The 1895 rifle is one of the U.S. contract muskets. It was shipped from Winchester to the Springfield Armory on January 12,
1899. One of 10,000 total ordered, it was in the last shipment of 1,000. The rifle is marked U.S. on the receiver ring and
there are several KSM inspector marks on it. On top of the barrel, under the handguard, is the .30 U. S. caliber marking
(also referred to as .30 Army and more commonly .30-40).

The rifle is shown with an original "Winchester Repeating Arms Co." marked bayonet and original bayonet scabbard.

The Russian contract muskets, ~294,000 from 1915 to 1917, were chambered for the 7.62x54mm Russian cartridge. The
top of the receiver ring is marked "7.62 M.M." and there are clip loading guides on the receiver.

Thanks for your question.

Jim
Thanks! Wonderful military rifle!

Nowadays..... most folks would think the K.S.M. initials stood for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. :D
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hey Jim & Cam, I heard y'all were fittin' or fixin' to get together. Great to see that you both were able to make the time & had the chance to share some quality time together. I sure do like to see these vintage "Special Police" Remington's. That is a fine looking group of nothing but business Jim!

I would have to agree with you Cam. Just like you Cam, Jim is one heck of a nice guy & great to chat with. I have had some great dealings with Jim throughout the past years and many hour+ long conversations on the phone. Both of you guys are true Texas gentleman.

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB