Model 8 & 81 VIDEO - CALIBER TEST!

81police

Model 8 & 81 VIDEO - CALIBER TEST!

Post by 81police »

8/81 lovers,

We took all five Model 8 & 81 calibers (25Rem, 30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, & 300Sav) and pitted them up against 32" of ballistic gelatin from Clearballistics.com. We measured depth of penetration and examined expansion of the bullets. The results were surprising. You can check out the video here...

https://youtu.be/8aykebvDoLM
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
xtimberman

Re: Model 8 & 81 - CALIBER TEST VIDEO

Post by xtimberman »

Thank You!
That project was very informative!
81police

Re: Model 8 & 81 - CALIBER TEST VIDEO

Post by 81police »

An observation that I didn't mention in the video, the wound channels of the 25Rem appeared as if they didn't expand at all, but both seemingly began tumbling at 16-24". Both rounds didn't actually go through the 32" total but likely would have if they didn't deviate vertically. I could hear them hit the backstop but couldn't find them.

Even though the 25Rem rounds were soft points, the permanent wound cavity for both were very small. As you could see by the reaction of the gel blocks the actual energy transferred into the gel was nominal. I don't think these results are definitive for the 25Rem in the least, I'd like to test this round again, possibly using the smaller 87gr "mushroom" load if I can find them.

Thanks y'all.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator